View topic - Photon screens in html?

Photon screens in html?

Discussion about the general applications that run on QNX6

Postby juanplacco » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:21 am

Well, well, well... First of all, thank you guys for feedback... I'm just reading the answers... Very very interesting...

I'm still trying to understand... sorry. So, just to summarize: As I can see, you run the real-time stuffs on QNX machines but all of your GUI Apps run on Windows (or Linux)... Maybe Java or C++/C# based?. Is this correct?. And the main reason for not doing so in QNX, is...? QNX doesn't manage Swing class?...

So, how do you communicate with QNX?, HTTPXMLREQUEST object, tcp/ip with your own protocol... or ?

Tim, that picture you show us, is based on C++ development, isn't it? And this application is communicated with QNX via tcp/IP?

I'm realizing that I have many more questions now than before... :roll: sorry.

Is very valuable for me to have other different points of view.

We have all running on QNX. A real time proprietary SCADA, acquiring process line data, and HMI GUI also in QNX. We obviously dont't have problems of performance in HMIs, they are safe enough to operate industrial equipment, and GUI are very nice. We run databases engine (MySQL) in QNX too and we don't struggle more than expected...

Everything goes fine, until this idea of showing things like Tim's screen from a browser for people who is far away from the plant, as I mentioned early.

Well... in further comment will be appreciated!

And, thank you again!!.

Regards,
JM
juanplacco

Postby mario » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:37 pm

juanplacco wrote:I'm still trying to understand... sorry. So, just to summarize: As I can see, you run the real-time stuffs on QNX machines but all of your GUI Apps run on Windows (or Linux)... Maybe Java or C++/C# based?. Is this correct?. And the main reason for not doing so in QNX, is...? QNX doesn't manage Swing class?...

All the GUI and database stuff runs on Windows, it's written in Java. To make a long story short, system was based on QNX4/Qwindows and it was decided to moved to another OS which was suppose to be Linux. They still weren't sure about which OS to move to bug one thing was certain, the GUI being based on QWindows has to be totally redesign and recode. Hence they chose Java for maximum portability and the work was started on the interface for a special project that was doing data collection only ( no real-time ). Almost 3 years later the switch of OS hasn't begun for the simple reason that no one knew Linux or were to start. I had been here for a year, when I mentioned hey why not go QNX6 instead of Linux. Which we did, however the Java stuff was based on Swing which is part of the Sun's JVM and the JVM available on QNX don't support Swing instead it supports AWT... Java portability my as.... That's why today, interfaces run on Windows while the real-time part runs on QNX.

juanplacco wrote:So, how do you communicate with QNX?, HTTPXMLREQUEST object, tcp/ip with your own protocol... or ?

Simple TCP/IP . Data is formatted in XML.

juanplacco wrote:Everything goes fine, until this idea of showing things like Tim's screen from a browser for people who is far away from the plant, as I mentioned early.

Since you already have all the programs done and are happy with that I would be working VERY HARD not to change that. What you could look at is provide the ability to run/install phindows from a Web interface that would take care of security/user permission issue. It would then launch phindows automagicaly with the proper option (username/session).

With the lastest version of Phindows and 6.4.0 you can use a private key that could get generated automaticaly for each session started.

With the -s option the user won't even notice he's using Phindows.
mario
QNX Master

Postby juanplacco » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:45 pm

Mario, your insights and suggestions are very valuable... thank you. To run phindows from a web browser could be a VERY GOOD idea. I'll investigate this option...

Finally, what do you mean with this?

"With the -s option the user won't even notice he's using Phindows."

Thanks again!
JM
juanplacco

Postby mario » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 pm

When Phindows is started with the -s<service> option, phrelay will use that info to start a specified program, says phcalc. So instead of having a typical photon session in Phindows, what the user will see is a window ( the phindows windows) with only phcalc in it, no shelf, no task bar, no pdm just phcalc. For the casual user it will look like a native, windows calculator.
mario
QNX Master

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 am

JM,

juanplacco wrote:I'm still trying to understand... sorry. So, just to summarize: As I can see, you run the real-time stuffs on QNX machines but all of your GUI Apps run on Windows (or Linux)... Maybe Java or C++/C# based?. Is this correct?. And the main reason for not doing so in QNX, is...? QNX doesn't manage Swing class?...

So, how do you communicate with QNX?, HTTPXMLREQUEST object, tcp/ip with your own protocol... or ?

Tim, that picture you show us, is based on C++ development, isn't it? And this application is communicated with QNX via tcp/IP?

The screen shot you saw was the C# part of the GUI. The C++ part runs in underlying threads to do communication and other under the hood stuff.

We communicate with QNX via TCP/IP or Serial (we had a requirement to support both). For 95% of our customers, they don't care so TCP/IP is our obvious choice for more bandwidth. For 5% of our customer serial is what they ask us to use.

We use our own protocol since we have to support serial and thus we need to do our own error detection. Our typical packet size is quite small due to the serial support (about 10-20 bytes of data).

Tim
Tim

Postby juanplacco » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Thank you guys!... I appreciate your comments!

I'll see what can I do...

Best regards,
JM
juanplacco

Previous

Return to QNX6 - Applications