Quad SMP, who uses what

bridged with qdn.public.news
Pat Ford

Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Pat Ford » Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:59 pm

Hi All:
We (the QA test lab) are going to get a quad, we are seriously considering the
supermicro S2QE6. What do you use, has anyone tried this board...
This is your chance to get your board of choice officialy supported by us.

Thanks

--
Pat Ford email: pford@qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd. WWW: http://www.qnx.com

Andrew

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 25, 2000 1:17 am

how bout an American Megatrends?

andrew

"Pat Ford" <pford@qnx.com> wrote in message
Hi All:
We (the QA test lab) are going to get a quad, we are seriously
considering the
supermicro S2QE6. What do you use, has anyone tried this board...
This is your chance to get your board of choice officialy supported by us.

Thanks

--
Pat Ford email: pford@qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd. WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931 (voice) mail: 175 Terence Matthews
(613) 591-3579 (fax) Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8

Pat Ford

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Pat Ford » Wed Oct 25, 2000 1:16 pm

would that be the megaplex or the megaplexII? we spent weeks (literaly) trying
to get a price. Do you have one? if so what was the price, who did you buy from...

Previously, Andrew wrote in qdn.public.news:
{ how bout an American Megatrends?
{
{ andrew
{
{ "Pat Ford" <pford@qnx.com> wrote in message
{ news:Voyager.001024155932.11721E@funnel.qnx.com...
{ > Hi All:
{ > We (the QA test lab) are going to get a quad, we are seriously
{ considering the
{ > supermicro S2QE6. What do you use, has anyone tried this board...
{ > This is your chance to get your board of choice officialy supported by us.
{ >
{ > Thanks
{ >
{ >
{ > --
{ > Pat Ford email: pford@qnx.com
{ > QNX Software Systems, Ltd. WWW: http://www.qnx.com
{ > (613) 591-0931 (voice) mail: 175 Terence Matthews
{ > (613) 591-3579 (fax) Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8
{ >
{
{
{

--
Pat Ford email: pford@qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd. WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931 (voice) mail: 175 Terence Matthews
(613) 591-3579 (fax) Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8

Andrew

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:23 pm

Sorry, no I don't have a price Pat.

I don't have one of these machines either, but they are certainly the ones
that I have been drooling over. If I did have to spec an SMP machine it
would probably be an AMI, although your problems getting a price are a bit
of a concern.

Cheers

[...]

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 26, 2000 9:31 pm

The megaplex, because it supports up to 8 gig of memory.

I'd love to hear the results of your performance tests.

I bet something like the megaplex powered by QNX would cane along.

andrew

Igor Kovalenko

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Thu Oct 26, 2000 10:19 pm

QNX won't use more than 4Gb of RAM just yet ;(

Andrew wrote:
The megaplex, because it supports up to 8 gig of memory.

I'd love to hear the results of your performance tests.

I bet something like the megaplex powered by QNX would cane along.

andrew

Andrew

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 27, 2000 9:35 pm

Hi Igor,

whats the technical reason for this limitation and is it likely to be
resolved/removed?

Cheers

Andrew

Bill at Sierra Design

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Bill at Sierra Design » Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:47 pm

The logical addresses used in a flat model program uses a 32-bit address.
That's 4GB.

Andrew <NOastuart@mira.netSPAM> wrote in message
Hi Igor,

whats the technical reason for this limitation and is it likely to be
resolved/removed?

Cheers

Andrew

Warren Peece

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Warren Peece » Thu Nov 02, 2000 4:02 am

I vote a resounding "NAY" for any AMI product. Here's the gory stuff (skip
to the next paragraph if you're a positive thinker):

They totally screwed me on a PII-333 that to this day still only "sorta"
works. It was absolutely awful, the thing came out of the box and would
boot Win98 then barf during the install. Wouldn't boot QNX4 at all. After
repeatedly (over a 6 week period) being ignored by AMI tech support both on
the phone and via E-Mail (30-day return period had expired and they wouldn't
let me off the hook), someone finally sent me a BIOS upgrade with a terse
note saying "forgot to load microcode into CPU". The machine then booted
and installed Windoze & QNX4, but when I tried to fill up the PCI slots, it
duplicated an IRQ AND memory address range (where I had plenty of each
available to use) across a network card and a Fibre Channel card, which
needless to say didn't work so hot. From what I could tell, they had
grabbed a BIOS from a 4 PCI slot board and cobbled it to (barely) run this 5
slot board. They neglected to account for the 5th slot in all areas, and
that's why things got screwed up. I bugged them for another 8 weeks, got
another mysterious upgrade which failed to produce any visible differences
in the board's behavior, bugged them for another few weeks and finally just
gave up on it. The entire time not a single upgrade appeard on their web
site under the "BIOS Upgrades" section for that particular board. We used
to exclusively buy AMI boards (lots of them, in fact) and had great luck
with their products and support, then all of the sudden it all went to Iowa
in a handbasket. I wouldn't go there if I were you (or me, for that
matter).

We've got a dual Xeon Asus board that we've had startup issues (FSB speeds,
BIOS upgrades and so on) that were handled well, and a SuperMicro dual that
was flawless although relatively short lived at motherboardexpress.com
(P3DME I think). Tyan was suggested by another developer here as a good
alternative as well, and I'd vote for any of the three depending on how easy
they are to come by. After all, if you can't find one I don't see why I'd
have any better luck...

Just my $0.012 CDN...

-Warren "Got in an Iowa AND Canada prod in the same message!" Peece

how bout an American Megatrends?

andrew

"Pat Ford" <pford@qnx.com> wrote in message
Hi All:
We (the QA test lab) are going to get a quad, we are seriously
considering the
supermicro S2QE6. What do you use, has anyone tried this board...
This is your chance to get your board of choice officialy supported by
us.

Thanks

--
Pat Ford email: pford@qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd. WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931 (voice) mail: 175 Terence Matthews
(613) 591-3579 (fax) Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M
1W8

Bill at Sierra Design

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Bill at Sierra Design » Thu Nov 02, 2000 6:33 pm

I agree.

When AMI makes a product that works its a great product. If it doesn't work
out of the box, SEND IT BACK.

I have also had very good success with Tyan motherboards, although I confess
I have not tried and SMP board.

was flawless although relatively short lived at motherboardexpress.com

how bout an American Megatrends?

andrew

"Pat Ford" <pford@qnx.com> wrote in message
Hi All:
We (the QA test lab) are going to get a quad, we are seriously
considering the
supermicro S2QE6. What do you use, has anyone tried this board...
This is your chance to get your board of choice officialy supported by
us.

Thanks

--
Pat Ford email: pford@qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd. WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931 (voice) mail: 175 Terence Matthews
(613) 591-3579 (fax) Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M
1W8

Marisa Giancarla

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Marisa Giancarla » Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:12 pm

I've used 2 Tyan SMP motherboards in machines at home and never had any
problems. I'm using dual P3/700's in this machine right now and it's worked
out great. Plus their SMP boards usually include built-in 10/100 ethernet
and some form of adaptec dual channel SCSI adapter... They are total
server-class products and Tyan is the OEM for some of the big name system
vendors so expect to pay for what you are getting and to not get a lot of
features aimed at tweakers who want to overclock their system..

Marisa

Pat Ford

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Pat Ford » Fri Nov 03, 2000 3:57 pm

We just got 2 supermicro super S2QE6 quad mother boards, man are these ever huge!
the main board is 13"x18" and the memory board is around the same size as the old fullsized isa cards. the url is http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Mothe ... /S2QE6.htm

I'll post info about this board and QNXrtp as I get all the part to get it working.
btw it will take upto 16 Gbytes of memory!!

Previously, Marisa Giancarla wrote in qdn.public.news:
[...]

Post by Warren Peece » Fri Nov 03, 2000 4:40 pm

Stick >4G memory in there, and let me know if everything still works. Then go
beat up on the developers to put large memory support in! :)

-Warren

| We just got 2 supermicro super S2QE6 quad mother boards, man are these ever
huge!
| the main board is 13"x18" and the memory board is around the same size as the
old fullsized isa cards. the url is
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Mothe ... /S2QE6.htm

| I'll post info about this board and QNXrtp as I get all the part to get it
working.
| btw it will take upto 16 Gbytes of memory!!

Igor Kovalenko

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Fri Nov 03, 2000 5:07 pm

They'd have to make system 64bit to do it and I doubt that's in their
immediate plans.
OTOH, I'm interested to see if they will make the onboard SCSI work >:->

- igor

Warren Peece wrote:
Stick >4G memory in there, and let me know if everything still works. Then go
beat up on the developers to put large memory support in! :)

-Warren

"Pat Ford" <pford@qnx.com> wrote in message
| We just got 2 supermicro super S2QE6 quad mother boards, man are these ever
huge!
| the main board is 13"x18" and the memory board is around the same size as the
old fullsized isa cards. the url is
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Mothe ... /S2QE6.htm

| I'll post info about this board and QNXrtp as I get all the part to get it
working.
| btw it will take upto 16 Gbytes of memory!!

Colin Burgess

Re: Quad SMP, who uses what

Post by Colin Burgess » Fri Nov 03, 2000 5:29 pm

Pat Ford <pford@qnx.com> wrote:
We just got 2 supermicro super S2QE6 quad mother boards, man are these ever huge!
the main board is 13"x18" and the memory board is around the same size as the old fullsized isa cards. the url is http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Mothe ... /S2QE6.htm
I'll need one of them if I'm ever going to port StarOffice! ;v)

--
cburgess@qnx.com

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.news”