qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

bridged with qdn.public.installation
Post Reply
Michael Stein

qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Michael Stein » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:49 pm

Hello,

how can I install QNX 6.1.0 on a DOC 2000 in a PC104 system. I have already
downloaded the driver from M-Systems. Version 5.0.4 supports DOC's up to
16MB or so. It failed because I have a 1GB DOC 2000 TSOP! So I tried the
newer version 5.1.4 of M-Systems (it is for QNX 6.2.x). With this driver I
get access to the DOC. I copied an image to the DOC and reboot without the
harddrive. The system starts to boot from DOC it shows a kind of partition
table and stops booting. Whats wrong? Is this the only way to install a QNX
OS on a DOC? Has someone experiences with this problem?

Thanks
Michael

Martin Kraan

Re: qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Martin Kraan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:02 am

What exactly do you mean by some kind of partition table?? and what did you
copy to the doc?

Greetz,

Martin.

"Michael Stein" <michael.stein@itk-engineering.de> schreef in bericht
Hello,

how can I install QNX 6.1.0 on a DOC 2000 in a PC104 system. I have
already
downloaded the driver from M-Systems. Version 5.0.4 supports DOC's up to
16MB or so. It failed because I have a 1GB DOC 2000 TSOP! So I tried the
newer version 5.1.4 of M-Systems (it is for QNX 6.2.x). With this driver I
get access to the DOC. I copied an image to the DOC and reboot without the
harddrive. The system starts to boot from DOC it shows a kind of partition
table and stops booting. Whats wrong? Is this the only way to install a
QNX
OS on a DOC? Has someone experiences with this problem?

Thanks
Michael

Michael Stein

Re: qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Michael Stein » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:06 am

The table I mean is the same that appears when I load the DiskOnChip driver
in QNX with devb-doc !
I have mailed this problem even to M-Systems. They answered me that its DOC
driver for QNX 6.1 does not support 1Gbyte DOC's . I should update to 6.2.

I want to install the QNX OS completely to the DOC. I want run the system
without a harddisk. To do so I followed the instructions that comes with the
DOC driver from M-Systems to make the DOC bootable. But it does not work,
the reason is discribed above.
Is there a possibility to install QNX directly to the DOC by booting the QNX
installation CD?

Greetings
Michael

[...]

Post by Martin Kraan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:51 am

As far as I know there is no way of installing QNX from the install cd to
the DOC.
It looks like to me that you just copied an incomplete? bootimage to the DOC
and/or you are
missing some files. So I will ask again: What exactly did you copy to the
DOC?

[...]

Post by Michael Stein » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:39 am

Here the instructions I have executed:

installing the DOC driver:

# mkdir /usr/local/diskonchip
# cd /usr/local/diskonchip
# gunzip diskonchip500-qnx61-x86.tar.gz ;the driver package
from M-Systems
# tar -xvf diskonchip500-qnx61-x86.tar
# cp devb-doc /sbin ;the DOC
driver
# cp dformat /sbin
# cp devb-doc /x86/sbin
# cp dformat /x86/sbin
# cp bios.diskonchip.build /boot/build ;it's needed
later
# mkdir /usr/include/diskonchip
# cp include/*.h /usr/include/diskonchip

making the DOC bootable:

# devb-doc
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd1 count=100 ;clearing the
partitiontable

# fdisk /dev/hd1 add -f 1 qnx all ;Create
QNX partition spanning entire DiskOnChip, mark this partition as

bootable, and write QNX loader to DiskOnChip
# fdisk /dev/hd1 boot qnx
# fdisk /dev/hd1 loader

# mount -e /dev/hd1

# ls /dev/hd1* 'At that point you should see all
filesystem partitions appear in /dev
directory. Assuming DiskOnChip
device name is /dev/hd1, the newly created
partition appear as
'/dev/hd1t77':'

# dinit -h /dev/hd1t77
;Initialize QNX file system on QNX partition on DiskOnChip
# dinit -hb /dev/hd1t77

# mkdir -p /mnt/diskonchip
# mount /dev/hd1t77 /mnt/diskonchip

# mkdir /mnt/diskonchip/bin ;creating
directories om DOC
# mkdir /mnt/diskonchip/sbin
# mkdir -p /mnt/diskonchip/lib/dll
# mkdir -p /mnt/diskonchip/usr/lib
# mkdir /mnt/diskonchip/usr/bin
# mkdir /mnt/diskonchip/usr/sbin
# mkdir /mnt/diskonchip/root

# cp /bin/* /mnt/diskonchip/bin ;copy
systemfiles to DOC
# cp /sbin/* /mnt/diskonchip/sbin
# cp -R /lib/* /mnt/diskonchip/lib
# cp /usr/bin/* /mnt/diskonchip/usr/bin
# cp /usr/sbin/* /mnt/diskonchip/usr/sbin

# cd /x86/boot
# mkifs -v build/bios.diskonchip.build fs/bios.diskonchip.ifs
;build a bootimage with the build file from the M-Systems driver package.
It's attached

to this message
# cp /tmp/bios.diskonchip.ifs /mnt/diskonchip/.boot

I hope this helps you to understand what I have done and what filesIi copied
to the DOC

[...]

begin 666 bios.diskonchip.build
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7#0IP8VDM8FEO<PT*<V5E9')E<PT*#0H`
`
end

Martin Kraan

Re: qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Martin Kraan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:55 am

Michael,

You said you are installing on a PC104 system, does it have pci?? If not
check the bios.diskonchip.build.
The pci server is started in the script, if you don't have pci, remove it
from the script. Also, do you see any
message printed? In the build file supplied with the 5.1.2 there is a
message printed:
"QNX-6.2 boots from M-Systems DiskOnChip".

[...]

CUT

Michael Stein

Re: qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Michael Stein » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:12 am

Hello Martin,

the PC104 system have pci but it's nothing connected to it!
Yes, when I'm booting from the DOC a message appears:

QNX-6.2 boots from M-Systems DiskOnChip
#DiskOnChip driver, ver. 5.1.4
Path=0 - M-Systems DOC
target=0 lun=0 Direct-Access(0) - M-Systems DOC
Path=1 - M-Systems DOC
target=0 lun=0 Direct-Access(0) - M-Systems DOC
Path=2 - M-Systems DOC
target=0 lun=0 Direct-Access(0) - M-Systems DOC
Path=3 - M-Systems DOC
target=0 lun=0 Direct-Access(0) - M-Systems DOC
#
and that's all.
I can make a 'ls' to see the directory tree and even I can change directory.

Michael,

You said you are installing on a PC104 system, does it have pci?? If not
check the bios.diskonchip.build.
The pci server is started in the script, if you don't have pci, remove it
from the script. Also, do you see any
message printed? In the build file supplied with the 5.1.2 there is a
message printed:
"QNX-6.2 boots from M-Systems DiskOnChip".

Martin.

Martin Kraan

Re: qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Martin Kraan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:33 am

Hey Michael,

It seems to me that the system booted fine. What do you think went wrong???
or what do you
expect to happen?
Your PC104 system won't do the same as the PC you installed QNX on because
you used a different bootimage ;)
If you want it to do more you will have to change your buildfile
accordingly.

[...]

Post by Michael Stein » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:10 am

Hello Martin,

sometimes the obvious is hard to see:-)

O.K. now I can boot from DOC. But how can I reach that the systems behaviour
is the same like the harddisk installation. You have to know that I'm very
new in using QNX!
To copy all files from harddisk to DOC and change the bootimage could not be
the right way!?
Another question: how can I get the bootimage build file from the current
harddisk installation? Is there any way?

Hey Michael,

It seems to me that the system booted fine. What do you think went
wrong???
or what do you
expect to happen?
Your PC104 system won't do the same as the PC you installed QNX on because
you used a different bootimage ;)
If you want it to do more you will have to change your buildfile
accordingly.

Martin.

Martin Kraan

Re: qnx 6.1.0 on Disk on Chip

Post by Martin Kraan » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:04 pm

Michael,

Normally you would copy all the stuff you really need and make a little
script that is called from the bootimage that starts
the various drivers needed for your PC104 system. We use an 8 MB DOC in our
system. Once we had setup the DOC,
we only have to make a copy from it to produce a new one.
You could copy your hd to the DOC, and change the default buildfile
(x86/boot/build/qnxbasedma.build). It uses diskboot
to boot the system. Normally I would not recommend the second option.

[...]

Return to “qdn.public.installation”