problem with ftp and telnet

bridged with qdn.public.installation
Post Reply
Denis Baxter

problem with ftp and telnet

Post by Denis Baxter » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:45 pm

Hi everybody, I am pretty new to QNX.
I upgraded the QNX 6.2 I had to 6.2.1
After the upgrade the services I had installed like FTP and Telnet where not
installed anymore.

So I went in etc/services and took out the # in front of each and rebooted.
After the reboot, the services still did not start.
When I do a netstat, I have no services at all open. I went back in the file
and the # beside the services I wanted to use wanted to use are not there.

I am a bit puzzled

Denis

Sean Boudreau

Re: problem with ftp and telnet

Post by Sean Boudreau » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:59 pm

Make sure inetd is running (as root).

-seanb

Denis Baxter <tuntto@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi everybody, I am pretty new to QNX.
I upgraded the QNX 6.2 I had to 6.2.1
After the upgrade the services I had installed like FTP and Telnet where not
installed anymore.

So I went in etc/services and took out the # in front of each and rebooted.
After the reboot, the services still did not start.
When I do a netstat, I have no services at all open. I went back in the file
and the # beside the services I wanted to use wanted to use are not there.

I am a bit puzzled

Denis

Denis Baxter

Re: problem with ftp and telnet

Post by Denis Baxter » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:07 pm

Thanks for the tip Sean.
But to make sure, if it not running do I just type inetd
And is there a way to make it run on boot

Thaks again
Denis

Post by Sean Boudreau » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:26 pm

Denis Baxter <tuntto@hotmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the tip Sean.
But to make sure, if it not running do I just type inetd
Yes.
And is there a way to make it run on boot
You can put the following in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local

---------------
#! /bin/sh
inetd
-------------

and make it executable:
# chmod a+x /etc/rc.d/rc.local
[...]

Michael Davidsaver

Re: problem with ftp and telnet

Post by Michael Davidsaver » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:42 pm

A somewhat related question. If rc.local doesn't exist can you just
create one or do you need to place a call to it somewhere?

Thanks,
Michael Davidsaver

Sean Boudreau wrote:
[...]

Chris McKillop

Post by Chris McKillop » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:01 pm

Michael Davidsaver <davidsav@uiuc.edu> wrote:
A somewhat related question. If rc.local doesn't exist can you just
create one or do you need to place a call to it somewhere?
Just create it. /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Don't forget to
"chmod 750 /etc/rc.d/rc.local" so it is executable. And you will probably
want to have #!/bin/sh as the first line.

Michael Davidsaver

Re: problem with ftp and telnet

Post by Michael Davidsaver » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:48 pm

Thanks

Chris McKillop wrote:
Michael Davidsaver <davidsav@uiuc.edu> wrote:

A somewhat related question. If rc.local doesn't exist can you just
create one or do you need to place a call to it somewhere?

Just create it. /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Don't forget to
"chmod 750 /etc/rc.d/rc.local" so it is executable. And you will probably
want to have #!/bin/sh as the first line.

chris

Robert Rutherford

Re: problem with ftp and telnet

Post by Robert Rutherford » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:43 am

It's worth pointing out that the startup sequence is not magic.

On a "normal" system, the sequence is
- The boot image (normally /.boot) starts diskboot
- diskboot runs /etc/system/sysinit

/etc/system/sysinit is just a shell script which (among many other things)
- (sometimes) runs (sources) /etc/rc.d/rc.setup-once
- runs (sources) /etc/rc.d/rc.rtc (if it exists and is executable)
- runs (sources) /etc/rc.d/rc.devices (which enumerates devices)
- runs (sources) /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (if it exists and is executable)

Now /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit itself is just another bit of shell script which
- runs (sources) host-specifc config scripts if present
(/etc/host_cfg/$HOSTNAME)
- otherwise runs (sources) /etc/rc.d/rc.local (if it exists and is
executable)

Hope that helps,

Rob Rutherford

"Michael Davidsaver" <davidsav@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
Thanks

Post by David Gibbs » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:43 pm

Robert Rutherford <ruzz@nospamplease.ruzz.com> wrote:
It's worth pointing out that the startup sequence is not magic.
Now /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit itself is just another bit of shell script which
- runs (sources) host-specifc config scripts if present
(/etc/host_cfg/$HOSTNAME)
Actually, it only looks for:

/etc/host_cfg/$HOSTNAME/rc.d/rc.local
And runs that if it exists & is executable
- otherwise runs (sources) /etc/rc.d/rc.local (if it exists and is
executable)
But, otherwise essentially correct.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.installation”