Suggestions for iso downloads

bridged with qdn.public.installation
Post Reply
Steve Cobb

Suggestions for iso downloads

Post by Steve Cobb » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:13 pm

I'm in the process of downloading (over dial-up ... ugh) the "3rd Party
Software for QNX Neutrino v6.2.1" iso image. As is typical, it took me
several hours to be able to even start the download due to "Sorry, we are at
maximum download". Further, I have had the connection drop after 90%
download on more than one occasion.

Would it be possible to add split iso files as an option to download? That
way those of us that need to can join them back to the original iso file? I
don't suspect that a whole lot of people have this particular problem, but
it sure would make life easier for those of us that do.

Cheers,
Steve

Jens H Jorgensen

Re: Suggestions for iso downloads

Post by Jens H Jorgensen » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:27 pm

You could just use a download manager such ad GetRight
(http://www.getright.com/)

Getright can resume a disconnected download.

--
Jens

"Steve Cobb" <steve_cobb0@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I'm in the process of downloading (over dial-up ... ugh) the "3rd Party
Software for QNX Neutrino v6.2.1" iso image. As is typical, it took me
several hours to be able to even start the download due to "Sorry, we are
at
maximum download". Further, I have had the connection drop after 90%
download on more than one occasion.

Would it be possible to add split iso files as an option to download?
That
way those of us that need to can join them back to the original iso file?
don't suspect that a whole lot of people have this particular problem, but
it sure would make life easier for those of us that do.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Cobb

Re: Suggestions for iso downloads

Post by Steve Cobb » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:47 am

Thanks for the pointer, that is indeed a nice application. Unfortunately,
the download server at QNX does not support resuming - according to
GetRight. So, I'm still SOL.

Are there any known mirrors of both the NC ISO as well as the third party
software ISO? The mirror server might support resuming. Actually, they
really need to put the ISOs on mirrors for their own sake, it still is a
matter of luck to be able to start the download as the server is almost
always overloaded.

Cheers,
Steve

"Jens H Jorgensen" <jhj@remove-nospam-videk.com> wrote in message
You could just use a download manager such ad GetRight
(http://www.getright.com/)

Getright can resume a disconnected download.

--
Jens

Jerry Chappell

Re: Suggestions for iso downloads

Post by Jerry Chappell » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:23 pm

If you're running 6.2.1, you can use the Installer (qnxinstall), to go to
http://download.qnx.com/contrib/repository621a
The installer will load just the definitions of the packages, and show you a
list of available packages. That way, you can pick just the packages that
you want to install, so that you need not download the whole ISO.

Jerry Chappell

I'm in the process of downloading (over dial-up ... ugh) the "3rd Party
Software for QNX Neutrino v6.2.1" iso image. As is typical, it took me
several hours to be able to even start the download due to "Sorry, we are
at
maximum download". Further, I have had the connection drop after 90%
download on more than one occasion.

Would it be possible to add split iso files as an option to download?
That
way those of us that need to can join them back to the original iso file?
don't suspect that a whole lot of people have this particular problem, but
it sure would make life easier for those of us that do.

Cheers,
Steve

John Nagle

Re: Suggestions for iso downloads

Post by John Nagle » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:28 pm

The recorded message for QNX customer support currently
says that you can order the CD for $29.

QNX got a few mentions on Slashdot this week, and so
download traffic is probably way up. I've never had
troubles downloading QNX .iso images in the past.

John Nagle

You could just use a download manager such ad GetRight
(http://www.getright.com/)

Getright can resume a disconnected download.

--
Jens

Guest

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:47 am

Jerry Chappell <jchappell@qnx.com> wrote:
If you're running 6.2.1, you can use the Installer (qnxinstall), to go to
http://download.qnx.com/contrib/repository621a
The installer will load just the definitions of the packages, and show you a
list of available packages. That way, you can pick just the packages that
you want to install, so that you need not download the whole ISO.
But if you have to repeat this on several machines -- not all
necessarily connected to the web -- it is a boring thing ...

What about making the files available through a FTP server, which
supports 'reget', like in the 'good old' QUICS days?

Just my 0.02$,

Karsten.

--
| \/ | __ ) ___| Karsten.Hoffmann@mbs-software.de MBS-GmbH
| |\/| | _ \___ \ Phone : +49-2151-7294-38 Karsten Hoffmann
|_| |_|____/____/ Mobile: +49-172-3812373 D-47809 Krefeld

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.installation”