process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.x86
Post Reply
Janusz Ruszel

process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Janusz Ruszel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:05 pm

How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Bill Caroselli

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Bill Caroselli » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:44 pm

Janusz Ruszel <janusz_ruszel@notvalid.com> wrote:
JR > How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular process?

JR > Janusz Ruszel.

Look at the 'psin' command and 'pidin me'.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:17 am

You might find "spin" (included on 3rd party CD) more useful for this
purpose.

"Janusz Ruszel" <janusz_ruszel@notvalid.com> wrote in message
How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Janusz Ruszel

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Janusz Ruszel » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:00 pm

There is no space to run "spin" on the target I want to debug for memory
leaking. Yeah, I can run it remotly. Spin is a great tool but I need check
heap size inside my application.

The description of malloc_g library says that there is function to check the
heap size but the function itself is not implemented.

Janusz Ruszel.

How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:56 pm

Interesting... if you're so tight on memory that you can't even load spin,
I'd say you have a bigger problem. It only needs about 128k ... Not having
that much essentially means you can't run many other utilities, because
shell won't be able to fork (unless you use some smaller shell, but even
then most utilities will require at least half as much).

You can modify the code to look only for certain pid instead of going
through all processes. Or just decrease the constant that defines max.
number of processes - the size of arrays used to keep & sort stuff depends
on it.

-- igor

How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Janusz Ruszel

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Janusz Ruszel » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:33 pm

Igor,
where I can find spin source code? Did you use "electrict fance" ?
(any thoughts to share? )

Thanks,
Janusz.

http://home.comcast.net/~kovalenko/qnx/ ... n-1.10.tgz

How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular
process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Janusz Ruszel

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Janusz Ruszel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:19 am

The spin code is very helpful!
Do you know how to calculate the amount of used heap memory?

Regards,
Janusz.

How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular
process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Igor Kovalenko

Re: process heap size under QNX 6.2.0

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:29 am

There is no way to know externally what a given process is doing within its
heap space. The only way would be to overload malloc()/free() and friends
and have your own internal accounting.

-- igor

Igor,
where I can find spin source code? Did you use "electrict fance"
?
(any thoughts to share? )

Thanks,
Janusz.

How to find out the heap used memory size for a particular
process?

Janusz Ruszel.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.x86”