Binary IPL

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.powerpc
Post Reply
Dmitri Poustovalov

Binary IPL

Post by Dmitri Poustovalov » Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:11 pm

I have Embedded Planet 860 RPX board and I'd like to burn _binary_ IPL to
FLASH. Embedded Kit makes ipl-rpx-lite IPL in srec format. If I modify
800fads.link with binary instead of srec then ld screams something about
..text and a negative address (sorry, don't have ld output handy). mkrec
converts from binary to srec. mkimage is simply missing from Embedded Kit as
well as a few more things. I hate saying this but Embedded Kit packaging is
very lame :( Guys, try a clean installation and you'll see that no RPX-lite
stuff can be "make"-ed w/o fixing minor problems

The whole idea behind RPX-Lite packaging is that QNX stuff will be burnt
with RPX FLASH burner. (At least I am getting this impression from
docs.)Unfortunately such approach will not work for field upgrades.

Chris McKillop

Re: Binary IPL

Post by Chris McKillop » Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:25 pm

Look into using ntoppc-objcopy to copy the ipl from srec to binary.

chris

Post by Dmitri Poustovalov » Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:53 pm

try a clean installation and you'll see that no RPX-lite

stuff can be "make"-ed w/o fixing minor problems
Yeh, I wish it was as my mistypo said :) It can NOT be "make"-ed w/o
problems.

For example, -I and -L options in makefiles point everywhere but still not

in right place.

"Dmitri Poustovalov" <pdmitri@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

"Chris McKillop" <cdm@qnx.com> wrote in message
[...]

John Wall

Re: Binary IPL

Post by John Wall » Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:02 pm

Dmitri Poustovalov <pdmitri@sympatico.ca> wrote:
: I have Embedded Planet 860 RPX board and I'd like to burn _binary_ IPL to
: FLASH. Embedded Kit makes ipl-rpx-lite IPL in srec format. If I modify
: 800fads.link with binary instead of srec then ld screams something about
: .text and a negative address (sorry, don't have ld output handy). mkrec
: converts from binary to srec. mkimage is simply missing from Embedded Kit as
: well as a few more things. I hate saying this but Embedded Kit packaging is
: very lame :( Guys, try a clean installation and you'll see that no RPX-lite
: stuff can be "make"-ed w/o fixing minor problems

: The whole idea behind RPX-Lite packaging is that QNX stuff will be burnt
: with RPX FLASH burner. (At least I am getting this impression from
: docs.)Unfortunately such approach will not work for field upgrades.

objcopy -O binary ipl-rpx-lite ipl-rpx-lite.bin

--
John

--
John Wall
QSSL

John Wall

Re: Binary IPL

Post by John Wall » Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:05 pm

Dmitri Poustovalov <pdmitri@sympatico.ca> wrote:
:> try a clean installation and you'll see that no RPX-lite

:> stuff can be "make"-ed w/o fixing minor problems

: Yeh, I wish it was as my mistypo said :) It can NOT be "make"-ed w/o
: problems.

: For example, -I and -L options in makefiles point everywhere but still not

: in right place.

Did you type "make" from the root (i.e. /rpx-lite). On my
system it builds cleanly.

--
John

: "Dmitri Poustovalov" <pdmitri@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
: news:aaf01f$psg$1@inn.qnx.com...
:> I have Embedded Planet 860 RPX board and I'd like to burn _binary_ IPL to
:> FLASH. Embedded Kit makes ipl-rpx-lite IPL in srec format. If I modify
:> 800fads.link with binary instead of srec then ld screams something about
:> .text and a negative address (sorry, don't have ld output handy). mkrec
:> converts from binary to srec. mkimage is simply missing from Embedded Kit
: as
:> well as a few more things. I hate saying this but Embedded Kit packaging
: is
:> very lame :( Guys, try a clean installation and you'll see that no
: RPX-lite
:> stuff can be "make"-ed w/o fixing minor problems
:>
:>
:> The whole idea behind RPX-Lite packaging is that QNX stuff will be burnt
:> with RPX FLASH burner. (At least I am getting this impression from
:> docs.)Unfortunately such approach will not work for field upgrades.
:>
:>

--
John Wall
QSSL
Custom Engineering Group (R&D)

Dmitri Poustovalov

Re: Binary IPL

Post by Dmitri Poustovalov » Wed May 08, 2002 3:34 am

Ok, I see. It's not a bug. It's a feature :)

Dmitri "As soon as I see Make(me)file I make it" Poustovalov

"John Wall" <jwall@qnx.com> wrote in message
[...]

:
:
:> The whole idea behind RPX-Lite packaging is that QNX stuff will be
burnt
:> with RPX FLASH burner. (At least I am getting this impression from
:> docs.)Unfortunately such approach will not work for field upgrades.
:
:

--
John Wall