Altivec Support

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.powerpc
Post Reply
Wayne Fisher

Altivec Support

Post by Wayne Fisher » Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:00 pm

Hi,

I've been thinking about creating some simple benchmarks to compare some of
our hardware against the power of the AltiVec engine in the PPC 7400.
However, I can't seem to find anything in the documentation on support for
enabling support for the AltiVec in the compiler.

Have Motorola's extensions for AltiVec been added to QSSL's release of the
GCC compiler?

I found a QSSL press release that said that it should have been ready for 1Q
2000:

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr/oct18_99-Motorola.html

"As part of its support for the MPC7400 processor, QNX plans to implement
Motorola's proposed AltiVec C/C++ language extensions, so developers can
write AltiVec-enabled drivers or applications using standard C tools; no
assembly language needed. This support is slated for 1Q 2000. For more
information, or for OEM pricing for the QNX RTOS, contact QNX Software
Systems directly."

What is the current status?

Thanks,

Wayne

Igor Kovalenko

Re: Altivec Support

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:20 pm

I think the status is 'sorry, we forgot about that statement' ;)

"Wayne Fisher" <wayne.fisher@vtecna.com> wrote in message
[...]

Kris Warkentin

Re: Altivec Support

Post by Kris Warkentin » Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:25 pm

"Igor Kovalenko" <kovalenko@home.com> wrote in message
I think the status is 'sorry, we forgot about that statement' ;)
"Aww, come on baby....that was just pillow talk" - Ash

All kidding aside, I'm not sure what became of this but we'll look into it
immediately.

cheers,

Kris
[...]

Tomas Högström

Re: Altivec Support

Post by Tomas Högström » Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:34 am

Would it be possible to use Altivec optimized Linux libries in the
same way as Intel's optimized Linux libraries can be used on RTP x86?

Tom

Wayne Fisher wrote:
[...]

Alex Cellarius

Re: Altivec Support

Post by Alex Cellarius » Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:39 pm

Hi
What is the status of this?

[...]

Post by Kris Warkentin » Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:19 pm

Sorry about the long response time. I must have forgotten to finish
following up on this one. I've forwarded your mail to someone who can give
an official response. I don't know if it's 'ask and you shall receive' or
'contact your sales rep'.

Kris

[...]

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:01 am

You guys sure this 'contact your sales' approach goes along nicely with GPL?

"Kris Warkentin" <kewarken@qnx.com> wrote in message
Hi Wayne,

I remember when we built the custom version for you but I didn't know for
sure what the whole deal was. I expect that if Alex were to contact his
Sales or Support person (probably support first) he should be able to get
copy with no trouble.

cheers,

Kris
"Wayne Fisher" <wayne.fisher@avvidasystems.com> wrote in message

Hi,

I was the one who originally asked for an AltiVec-aware GCC. I got a
copy
of
QSSL's AltiVec-aware GCC from them. So, if you ask the right person you
can
probably get a copy too.

Wayne

Post by Kris Warkentin » Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:24 pm

Hi Wayne,

I remember when we built the custom version for you but I didn't know for
sure what the whole deal was. I expect that if Alex were to contact his
Sales or Support person (probably support first) he should be able to get a

Post by Alex Cellarius » Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:02 pm

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:13:37 -0400, "Wayne Fisher" <wayne.fisher@avvidasystems.com> wrote:
Hi,

I was the one who originally asked for an AltiVec-aware GCC. I got a copy of
QSSL's AltiVec-aware GCC from them. So, if you ask the right person you can
probably get a copy too.
I can get it for my customer, but only if they have premium support.
Thanks for letting me know it's available, though.

Kris Warkentin

Re: Altivec Support

Post by Kris Warkentin » Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:22 pm

"Igor Kovalenko" <kovalenko@attbi.com> wrote in message
You guys sure this 'contact your sales' approach goes along nicely with
GPL?
Well, lets see. The terms of the GPL insist that if I give someone a binary
compiled with modified GPL code, then I have to make the source code
available to that person. It says nothing about being obligated to give
everyone the code, only the people who have the binary. If you would like
an example of this, contract Redhat to do some custom work on gcc/gdb/etc.
for you. They will do the work, give you the binary and source and, perhaps
6 months later, perhaps never, release the code into the wild. So, if we
sell someone some modified GPL tools then we are required to give them the
source code.

In this case, I don't think it's quite the same though. I don't believe
we're trying to sell the altivec stuff but rather it's just a custom branch
to our tools that isn't in our main tree. I don't know the details but I'm
pretty sure that we just gave it to Wayne as part of his support contract.
Like I said earlier, I remember when Marcin was building that branch for
Wayne a while ago. The only reason I said contact support or sales is
because I didn't know the details of how the tools were to be given out and
I didn't want to open my big mouth without knowing all the details. You may
not know this but I sometimes do that. ;-)

cheers,

Kris

Post by Alex Cellarius » Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:16 pm

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:13:37 -0400, "Wayne Fisher" <wayne.fisher@avvidasystems.com> wrote:
Hi,

I was the one who originally asked for an AltiVec-aware GCC. I got a copy of
QSSL's AltiVec-aware GCC from them. So, if you ask the right person you can
probably get a copy too.
Do you (or anyone) use a signal processing library with the PowerPC/Altivec?
e.g. from Transtech
http://www.transtech-dsp.com/software/vsipl.htm

The Transtech libraries only support VxWorks and Linux.
My (potential) customer is interested in any VSIPL (this is a standard) libraries
or similar signal processing libraries which are optimized to
use the Altivec extensions.

Wayne Fisher

Re: Altivec Support

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:13:37 -0400, "Wayne Fisher"
wayne.fisher@avvidasystems.com> wrote:

Hi,

I was the one who originally asked for an AltiVec-aware GCC. I got a
copy of
QSSL's AltiVec-aware GCC from them. So, if you ask the right person you
can
probably get a copy too.

Do you (or anyone) use a signal processing library with the
PowerPC/Altivec?
e.g. from Transtech
http://www.transtech-dsp.com/software/vsipl.htm

The Transtech libraries only support VxWorks and Linux.
I haven't used any third party libraries on AltiVec.
My (potential) customer is interested in any VSIPL (this is a standard)
libraries
or similar signal processing libraries which are optimized to
use the Altivec extensions.
I looked at VSIPL a few months back. It looks good but I couldn't get an
idea of how many people actually use it.

Have you been to the Altivec.org website? I recall some discussion related
to VSIPL in the Altivec.org mailing list a couple months or so ago. You
might try looking through the email archive.

Wayne

Alex Cellarius

Re: Altivec Support

Post by Alex Cellarius » Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:50 pm

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:21:57 -0400, "Wayne Fisher" <wayne.fisher@avvidasystems.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks-will have a look.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.powerpc”