Group for SWT photon related questions

bridged with qdn.cafe
Frank Liu

Re: Group for SWT photon related questions

Post by Frank Liu » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:58 pm

Jim Plantinga <jplantinga@qnx.com> wrote:
The trade off is that we loose some of the features of a exclusively web
based forum system.
not if you use jive :)

on the other hand, you could have a hybrid for all public groups.
and use web only for future beta groups, and/or private groups.

Frank

Piotr Michalowski

Re: Group for SWT photon related questions

Post by Piotr Michalowski » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:24 am

Uzytkownik "Rennie Allen" <rgallen@attbi.com> napisal w wiadomosci
I think it would be a good idea to have a qdn.public.qnxrtp.photon.swt
group, to
ask photon related SWT questions. Anyone else agree ?

Rennie

Post by Frank Liu » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:12 pm

Jim Plantinga <jplantinga@qnx.com> wrote:
We have many client companies that block NNTP at their firewall ...
That's no excuse :)
http->nntp gateway has been there for years:
http://www.openqnx.com/NewsPortal.html

Igor Kovalenko

Re: Group for SWT photon related questions

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:51 am

You should do both. I mean you should have HTTP-based NNTP gateway. The fact
that a decent newsreader is infinitely more convinient than any web
interface is obvious enough and does not need arguing. However the firewalls
in most corporations do not allow NNTP and getting exceptions is a headache.
So HTTP gateway is helpful for those behind the corporate walls ... and for
all the <insert your favorite adjective here> people who do not know about
NNTP in the first place.

"J Plantinga" <jplantinga@qnx.com> wrote in message
The rumors to move to web based forums are not completely unfounded, but
the
decision is not final as far I am concerned. We may do both.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Plantinga
QNX Manager of IS

"Frank Liu" <fliu@mail.vipstage.com> wrote in message
Rennie Allen <rgallen@attbi.com> wrote:
I think it would be a good idea to have a qdn.public.qnxrtp.photon.swt
group, to
ask photon related SWT questions. Anyone else agree ?

Rennie

As I mentioned in another post few weeks ago, QSS is going to dump
this NNTP based service and replace it with a web based forum.
They probably will consider your suggestion for the new forum, but
I doubt they will spend more time enhancing the inn.qnx.com

Frank

Alain Bonnefoy

Re: Group for SWT photon related questions

Post by Alain Bonnefoy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:39 am

I'm agree with you.
According to my 'small' experience, web based forum are not so easy to
use, we are mainly overwhelmed by banners, gif, publicities, and others
unusefull html embelishments.

Please keep NNTP, we need helps, infos, that's all.

If someone has some time to waste in QSSL, please ask him to accomplish
the mountain of yet inexisting documentations.

cheers,
Alain.

John A. Murphy a écrit:
If anybody cares, I'd certainly vote against moving from NNTP to a web
based forum!!! I've never seen ANY web based forum that was anywhere
near as user friend as a news reader, and I've seen a quite a number of
them. My experience is that I finally give up and decide that my time
is too valuable to waste messing with yet another failed attempt to
improve on NNTP.

Murf

Frank Liu wrote:

Rennie Allen <rgallen@attbi.com> wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to have a qdn.public.qnxrtp.photon.swt group, to
ask photon related SWT questions. Anyone else agree ?

Rennie

As I mentioned in another post few weeks ago, QSS is going to dump
this NNTP based service and replace it with a web based forum.
They probably will consider your suggestion for the new forum, but
I doubt they will spend more time enhancing the inn.qnx.com

Frank

Steve Reid

Post by Steve Reid » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:43 pm

Alain Bonnefoy <alain.bonnefoy@icbt.com> wrote:
: If someone has some time to waste in QSSL, please ask him to accomplish
: the mountain of yet inexisting documentations.

Do you mean that time spent on the docs is wasted time? :-)

We're continuously working on the docs, including a new Neutrino User's
Guide and an updated IDE User's Guide. If there's something specific that
needs to be documented, please post your suggestions in one of the
newsgroups.

Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
TechPubs (Technical Publications)
QNX Software Systems

Re: Group for SWT photon related questions

Post by Bill Caroselli » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:48 pm

Steve Reid <stever@qnx.com> wrote:
SR > Alain Bonnefoy <alain.bonnefoy@icbt.com> wrote:
SR > : If someone has some time to waste in QSSL, please ask him to accomplish
SR > : the mountain of yet inexisting documentations.

SR > Do you mean that time spent on the docs is wasted time? :-)

No Steve. Just the opposite. We *NEED* documentation.

A new WEB page is just more BS.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.cafe”