What does QNX stand for?

bridged with qdn.cafe
Post Reply
Chris Guillotte

What does QNX stand for?

Post by Chris Guillotte » Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:45 am

I'm giving a presentation over QNX and can find all kinds of information
about the OS, but nothing about what QNX stands for.

Bill Caroselli

Re: What does QNX stand for?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:10 am

Originally it was something like Quantum UNIX - QUNIX

Then the AT&T lawers got involved and it became QNX for short.

The company was Quantum Software Systems Limited. Then that became QSSL.

This is all from memory. I'm sure that if I'm somewhat mistaken (which is
entirely possible) there will be many who will correct me.

--
Bill Caroselli -- 1(626) 824-7983
Q-TPS Consulting

"Chris Guillotte" <ross7777@earthlink.net> wrote in message
I'm giving a presentation over QNX and can find all kinds of information
about the OS, but nothing about what QNX stands for.

Mitchell Schoenbrun

Re: What does QNX stand for?

Post by Mitchell Schoenbrun » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:58 am

You might want to take a look at the section on the History of QNX
in my FAQ located at http://www.schoenbrun.com/mba/faq.htm

My recollection from conversations was that the original idea was

Qunix = Quicker Unix

Previously, Bill Caroselli wrote in qdn.cafe:
Originally it was something like Quantum UNIX - QUNIX

Then the AT&T lawers got involved and it became QNX for short.

The company was Quantum Software Systems Limited. Then that became QSSL.

This is all from memory. I'm sure that if I'm somewhat mistaken (which is
entirely possible) there will be many who will correct me.

--
Bill Caroselli -- 1(626) 824-7983
Q-TPS Consulting
QTPS@EarthLink.net

"Chris Guillotte" <ross7777@earthlink.net> wrote in message
I'm giving a presentation over QNX and can find all kinds of information
about the OS, but nothing about what QNX stands for.

--
Mitchell Schoenbrun --------- maschoen@pobox.com

Bill Caroselli

Re: What does QNX stand for?

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:41 am

Hi Mitch

Thanks. I remembered that such a history page existed but I couldn't
remember what it was or who had it.

--

"Mitchell Schoenbrun" <maschoen@pobox.com> wrote in message
[...]

ed1k

Re: What does QNX stand for?

Post by ed1k » Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:18 pm

Occasionally I have found serie of articles "QNX Word by uncle Nigl" somewhere in underworld (last
update 09/23/1998). Igor, are those articles somewhere on-line?
--
Eduard.
ed1k at yahoo dot com

Mitchell Schoenbrun <maschoen@pobox.com> wrote in article
<Voyager.020320175841.198B@schoenbrun.com>...
You might want to take a look at the section on the History of QNX
in my FAQ located at http://www.schoenbrun.com/mba/faq.htm

My recollection from conversations was that the original idea was

Qunix = Quicker Unix

Eric Johnson

Re: What does QNX stand for?

Post by Eric Johnson » Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:53 pm

Personally I always liked Ross Koningstein's suggestion of 'Quick, Narly and
Xcellent' (I'm really dating myself by referring to a decade-old thread in
the old QUICS system <grin>).

"Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Originally it was something like Quantum UNIX - QUNIX

Then the AT&T lawers got involved and it became QNX for short.

The company was Quantum Software Systems Limited. Then that became QSSL.

This is all from memory. I'm sure that if I'm somewhat mistaken (which is
entirely possible) there will be many who will correct me.

--
Bill Caroselli -- 1(626) 824-7983
Q-TPS Consulting
QTPS@EarthLink.net

"Chris Guillotte" <ross7777@earthlink.net> wrote in message
I'm giving a presentation over QNX and can find all kinds of information
about the OS, but nothing about what QNX stands for.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.cafe”