Consulting Programmer available - We also write docs

bridged with qdn.public.qnxjobs
Post Reply
Phil Olynyk

Consulting Programmer available - We also write docs

Post by Phil Olynyk » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:24 pm

My thirty five years experience reading and fixing other peoples code,
and writing my own, can be at your service.
I have worked mostly on embedded systems, on PDP-8's and PC's, to
StrongARM TuxScreens, controlling laser scanning ophthalmoscopes, an
ambulance dispatch service, and a water treatment plant.
When designing systems, I have two rules:
Divide and communicate - many tasks make light work.
Simplicate and add elegance - programs are for people to read.
When writing documentation, I follow your standards - with the
occasional bit of humour to maintain the reader's interest. If you don't
have standards, I'll write those for you, too.

See my web page at http://members.rogers.com/obtsoft

Phil Olynyk
"For a more reliable product sooner"
OBT Software Corp.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My apologies to the Roberts (Krten and Heinlein)... :-)

Rennie Allen

Re: Consulting Programmer available - We also write docs

Post by Rennie Allen » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:46 am

Kris Warkentin wrote:
"Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)" <QTPS@EarthLink.net> wrote in message

You know, I've bitten myself in my own ass by doing that.
(Of course I had to kneel down to do it.)

No no no Bill, you 'assbitified' yourself.

;-)
Ok, enough offtopificating...

Kris Warkentin

Post by Kris Warkentin » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:40 pm

"Phil Olynyk" <pholynyk@rogers.com> wrote in message
Simplicate and add elegance - programs are for people to read.
Simplicate? I like that. It sounds like something Don King would say. I
prefer to 'obfuscify' and 'spagettilate' my code so that no one but me can
maintain it....Job security baby.

;-)

Kris

Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)

Post by Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS) » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:33 pm

"Kris Warkentin" <kewarken@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Phil Olynyk" <pholynyk@rogers.com> wrote in message

Simplicate and add elegance - programs are for people to read.

Simplicate? I like that. It sounds like something Don King would say. I
prefer to 'obfuscify' and 'spagettilate' my code so that no one but me can
maintain it....Job security baby.
You know, I've bitten myself in my own ass by doing that.
(Of course I had to kneel down to do it.)

It's also funny. Did you ever have to go into a program you wrote 10 years
ago and haven't really touched since? You sit there wondering, Did I really
write this crap?!?!

At least we DO get better with age. (If not, I guess we should stop playing
the game.)

Kris Warkentin

You know, I've bitten myself in my own ass by doing that.
(Of course I had to kneel down to do it.)
No no no Bill, you 'assbitified' yourself.

;-)

Kris

Xiaodan Tang

It's also funny. Did you ever have to go into a program you wrote 10
years
ago and haven't really touched since? You sit there wondering, Did I
really
write this crap?!?!
Yes I do.

Every now and then, I re-read my code, and tell myself "what a crap!".
Cleaned
it up, and then testers tell me (usually before a release dead line) that I
broke
something

The funny part is so I commited to fix the problem, and left it for a while,
come
back saying "what a crap!" to myself again, and doing those again ;)

You can never wrote that perfect code in your dream...

-xtang

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxjobs”