View topic - devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Read-only archive of qnx.rtos (Writing resources managers, and general discussion around the QNX Neutrino RTOS) at inn.qnx.com

devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby bilcar » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:06 pm

Is there an option to put the devn-sis9.so driver in promiscious mode?

I have system where this is embedded on the mother board. It works
well but I want to use that system for sniffing ethernet problems.
The tcpdump program does not see any packets that aren't broadcast or
are the intended recipient of the packet.
bilcar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Crete, IL

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby bilcar » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:46 pm

Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
BC > Is there an option to put the devn-sis9.so driver in promiscious mode?

BC > I have system where this is embedded on the mother board. It works
BC > well but I want to use that system for sniffing ethernet problems.
BC > The tcpdump program does not see any packets that aren't broadcast or
BC > are the intended recipient of the packet.

Is anybody out there?

Can someone at least say No?

Better yet, say yes and tell me how.
bilcar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Crete, IL

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby wdeitch » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:21 pm

Is your network cable plugged into a switch or a hub. If a switch, it
will filter all point - point packets that are not addressed to you.


Bill Caroselli wrote:
Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
BC > Is there an option to put the devn-sis9.so driver in promiscious mode?

BC > I have system where this is embedded on the mother board. It works
BC > well but I want to use that system for sniffing ethernet problems.
BC > The tcpdump program does not see any packets that aren't broadcast or
BC > are the intended recipient of the packet.

Is anybody out there?

Can someone at least say No?

Better yet, say yes and tell me how.
wdeitch
Active Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:24 am

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby bilcar » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:47 pm

Yes, I am aware. It is on a small network with a cheap dumb hub.


Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > Is your network cable plugged into a switch or a hub. If a switch, it
WD > will filter all point - point packets that are not addressed to you.
bilcar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Crete, IL

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby wdeitch » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:08 pm

There seems to be an option 'promiscuous' in the binary. Try the
option promiscuous=1 in your setup.

Bill Caroselli wrote:
Yes, I am aware. It is on a small network with a cheap dumb hub.


Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > Is your network cable plugged into a switch or a hub. If a switch, it
WD > will filter all point - point packets that are not addressed to you.
wdeitch
Active Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:24 am

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby bilcar » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:50 pm

Thanks. I'll try this.

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > There seems to be an option 'promiscuous' in the binary. Try the
WD > option promiscuous=1 in your setup.

WD > Bill Caroselli wrote:
Yes, I am aware. It is on a small network with a cheap dumb hub.


Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > Is your network cable plugged into a switch or a hub. If a switch, it
WD > will filter all point - point packets that are not addressed to you.
bilcar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Crete, IL

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby wdeitch » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:24 pm

Bill,
I had an issue with the devn-sis9 driver early last year -- the mac
address was not being accessed correctly. It also did not set up the
speeds ! nicinfo showed all sorts of problems

The version I downloaded from qdn.qnx.com in late April 2003 was

59754 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so

$ md5sum /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
c368f966ea59f9b3d9927ee0c8774e16 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
$ cksum /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
1517447458 59754 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so

Of course, I can no longer find this on the QNX website.


Bill Caroselli wrote:
Thanks. I'll try this.

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > There seems to be an option 'promiscuous' in the binary. Try the
WD > option promiscuous=1 in your setup.

WD > Bill Caroselli wrote:

Yes, I am aware. It is on a small network with a cheap dumb hub.


Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > Is your network cable plugged into a switch or a hub. If a switch, it
WD > will filter all point - point packets that are not addressed to you.
wdeitch
Active Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:24 am

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby Frank Liu » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:49 pm

here it is:
http://developers.qnx.com/Fixes/Software/sis9.html

Frank

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
Bill,
I had an issue with the devn-sis9 driver early last year -- the mac
address was not being accessed correctly. It also did not set up the
speeds ! nicinfo showed all sorts of problems

The version I downloaded from qdn.qnx.com in late April 2003 was

59754 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so

$ md5sum /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
c368f966ea59f9b3d9927ee0c8774e16 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
$ cksum /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
1517447458 59754 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so

Of course, I can no longer find this on the QNX website.


Bill Caroselli wrote:
Thanks. I'll try this.

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > There seems to be an option 'promiscuous' in the binary. Try the
WD > option promiscuous=1 in your setup.

WD > Bill Caroselli wrote:

Yes, I am aware. It is on a small network with a cheap dumb hub.


Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > Is your network cable plugged into a switch or a hub. If a switch, it
WD > will filter all point - point packets that are not addressed to you.
Frank Liu
 

Re: devn-sis9.so in Promiscious mode

Postby bilcar » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:11 pm

My devn-sis9 essentially works fine.
I just can't get it into promiscuous mode.

Someone made a suggestion yesterday. I have not had a chance to try
that yet. The computer in question is in another building.

Warren Deitch <warren.deitch@transcore.com.au> wrote:
WD > Bill,
WD > I had an issue with the devn-sis9 driver early last year -- the mac
WD > address was not being accessed correctly. It also did not set up the
WD > speeds ! nicinfo showed all sorts of problems

WD > The version I downloaded from qdn.qnx.com in late April 2003 was

WD > 59754 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so

WD > $ md5sum /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
WD > c368f966ea59f9b3d9927ee0c8774e16 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
WD > $ cksum /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so
WD > 1517447458 59754 /lib/dll/devn-sis9.so

WD > Of course, I can no longer find this on the QNX website.
bilcar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Crete, IL


Return to qnx.rtos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests