View topic - Qnx632 and the std::vector, any problems?

Qnx632 and the std::vector, any problems?

anything that doesn't fit to other groups.

Qnx632 and the std::vector, any problems?

Postby queBurro » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm using QNX632 and have used std::vectors, only I'm getting runtime problems with my main app but not with my test aps, it's weird and I'm not sure why.

e.g. pseudo-code...
Code: Select all
std::vector<double> vec;
vec.resize(4);
vec.size() <- works ok, returns 4
vec.at(0) <- I get a sig 11? /(sigsegv/seg fault)

I've tried it by .resize...ing the vector and by push_back...ing to it, but the .at and [] both seg fault. When I switch to a static array it appears to be ok?
so... Qnx632 and the std::vector, any problems I don't know about? could I have gotten some build option different for my main app which is set correctly in my test app? am I hearing hooves and thinking zebras here?

anytips for gdb'ing vectors?

cheers
queBurro

Re: Qnx632 and the std::vector, any problems?

Postby ingraham » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Works fine for me.

Compiler is gcc 3.3.1.

My actual compile line was:
QCC -Wall -g -O -o test test.cpp -lm

The -lm wasn't actually necessary, but I do it out of habit now because I've been burned so many times by forgetting it. The -O is optimize, although considering the bewildering number of options gcc has for optimizing it's hard to know what that does. It worked without it as well, and without the -g for debug. -Wall is just about warnings, so really, the compile line only had to be:
QCC test.cpp

and then run a.out.

Let me stress that you absolutely MUST use QCC for this. (Well, you can pass something to qcc to make it do C++, but I never remember what it is so I just use the all caps version.) Trying to use gcc / g++ directly will NOT work.

You mentioned that this was working in test code but not in production code. Perhaps there is something in between your resize() (or push_back()) and your at() that is the problem? Another possibility is that somehow you're calling your at() before the resize().

Good luck.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.
ingraham

Postby queBurro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:31 am

thanks for the reply... I'd placed my vector in shared memory and was accessing it from a different process, which apparently won't work.
It looks like the size function returns a 'wrong' value without throwing anything but you can't actually access whatever's in there. The size being correct whilst debugging looks like a fluke as when I tried it again it was way off.
queBurro

Postby mario » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm

queBurro wrote:thanks for the reply... I'd placed my vector in shared memory and was accessing it from a different process, which apparently won't work.
It looks like the size function returns a 'wrong' value without throwing anything but you can't actually access whatever's in there. The size being correct whilst debugging looks like a fluke as when I tried it again it was way off.

Most of the time the problem is always in what people forget to mention.

When you put something in a vector, the memory use to hold that data is put in the process memory ( a new() is performed) and not in sharedmemory. Hence when another process try to access the element in the vector, the pointers are invalid.
mario
QNX Master

Postby queBurro » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

mario wrote:Most of the time the problem is always in what people forget to mention.

indeed, and when you find something it's always in the last place you look ;)
queBurro

Return to General Programming