VMWare

bridged with qdn.public.news
Mario Charest

VMWare

Post by Mario Charest » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:52 am

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router). There is an option to have the VM use the
network card directly but I beleive you need a second network card for that.
The machine I tested this on is a P4 2.4 and QNX4 felt faster then on a P3
450Mzh. IOzone reported faster performance then on my laptop! ( I never
installed QNX4 on the P4 so I can't compare between native and virtual
performance)

I was able to install QNX6, but the VM will crash when Photon tries to start
the vesabios driver. If Photon isn't started I can get to the prompt and
run stuff (I didn't tried networking)

I'm seriously condering using it for my QNX4 work.

The VM reboots real fast, very nice when you play with the .boot file ;-)

If you'd like me to try something out in case you are insterested just let
me know.

- Mario

Frank Liu

Re: VMWare

Post by Frank Liu » Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:40 am

Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon are
glad to hear that! I will give QNX4 a try. it will be nice to at
least have a qnx4 install somewhere, just in case :)
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router). There is an option to have the VM use the
network card directly but I beleive you need a second network card for that.
no, you don't. it is called bridge-network. vmware virtual machine will
piggy backed on the host machine's NIC.
The machine I tested this on is a P4 2.4 and QNX4 felt faster then on a P3
450Mzh. IOzone reported faster performance then on my laptop! ( I never
installed QNX4 on the P4 so I can't compare between native and virtual
performance)
sounds interesting, tried any GUI? (QNX Windows, X Window, or Photon).
I was able to install QNX6, but the VM will crash when Photon tries to start
the vesabios driver. If Photon isn't started I can get to the prompt and
yes, vesabios will crash. see my post at
http://www.openqnx.com/PNphpBB2+viewtopic-t-277-.html
your only luck is the vga or svga driver. it will be nice if QSS can
provide a devg-vmware.so, but it probably won't show up in QNX 6.3
though rumor says QNX 6.3 will fix the "vesabios" crash thingie.
run stuff (I didn't tried networking)
networking works for me.

-Frank

Post by Mario Charest » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:23 pm

"Frank Liu" <fliu@mail.vipstage.com> wrote in message
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon
are

glad to hear that! I will give QNX4 a try. it will be nice to at
least have a qnx4 install somewhere, just in case :)

working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router). There is an option to have the VM use
the
network card directly but I beleive you need a second network card for
that.

no, you don't. it is called bridge-network. vmware virtual machine will
piggy backed on the host machine's NIC.
I tried that but couln't get TCP/IP working (but now that I think of it I
think I know why. Will try later).
The machine I tested this on is a P4 2.4 and QNX4 felt faster then on a
P3
450Mzh. IOzone reported faster performance then on my laptop! ( I
never
installed QNX4 on the P4 so I can't compare between native and virtual
performance)

sounds interesting, tried any GUI? (QNX Windows, X Window, or Photon).
Yes Photon runs fine (even at 1280x1024). I could try QNX Windows. I don't
use X.

I was able to install QNX6, but the VM will crash when Photon tries to
start
the vesabios driver. If Photon isn't started I can get to the prompt
and

yes, vesabios will crash. see my post at
http://www.openqnx.com/PNphpBB2+viewtopic-t-277-.html
your only luck is the vga or svga driver. it will be nice if QSS can
provide a devg-vmware.so, but it probably won't show up in QNX 6.3
though rumor says QNX 6.3 will fix the "vesabios" crash thingie.

run stuff (I didn't tried networking)

networking works for me.

-Frank

I'm seriously condering using it for my QNX4 work.

The VM reboots real fast, very nice when you play with the .boot file
;-)

If you'd like me to try something out in case you are insterested just
let
me know.

- Mario

David Gibbs

Re: VMWare

Post by David Gibbs » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:00 pm

Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router).
FLEET is not a routeable protocol. It is an ethernet level protocol,
using MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Frank Liu

Re: VMWare

Post by Frank Liu » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:57 pm

David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router).

FLEET is not a routeable protocol. It is an ethernet level protocol,
using MAC addresses, not IP addresses.
I was able to get QNX4 FLEET working by using VMware's bridge network.

David Gibbs

Re: VMWare

Post by David Gibbs » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:43 pm

Frank Liu <fliu@mail.vipstage.com> wrote:
David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router).

FLEET is not a routeable protocol. It is an ethernet level protocol,
using MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

I was able to get QNX4 FLEET working by using VMware's bridge network.
Yup, that would work -- it is bridgeable, but not routeable.

We built our QNX 4 (FLEET) network here using ethernet bridges.

David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon
are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router).

FLEET is not a routeable protocol. It is an ethernet level protocol,
using MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

I was able to get QNX4 FLEET working by using VMware's bridge network.
Yep got it working, took me a while to figure out VMWare somehow changes
the MAC address of the network card.

I have been using VMWare/QNX4 on my laptop on a daily basis for the past
week and i am very impress. It's a little slow given the laptop 450Mzh.
That got me thinking that when the day come when I will change laptop I
won't have to care about hardware support since though VMWare QNX4 is able
to use any video card (in SVGA), network card (even wireless), modem. I was
even able to connect QNX4 to internet via my cell phone infrared port!

I also got VMWare to boot from my physical QNX4 partition and not from a
virtual partition.

Via TCP/IP I can exchange files between QNX4 and Windows (all running on the
same machine). This is an awesome setup.

- Mario

Frank Liu

Re: VMWare

Post by Frank Liu » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:25 pm

Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
Yep got it working, took me a while to figure out VMWare somehow changes
the MAC address of the network card.
I am having some issues with the Net.ether2100 driver. I have
to slay and restart it ever time after the virtual machine reboots.
Maybe I am running an old version?

# sin ver
PROGRAM NAME VERSION DATE
/boot/sys/Proc32 Proc 4.25J Sep 09 1999
/boot/sys/Proc32 Slib16 4.23G Oct 04 1996
/boot/sys/Slib32 Slib32 4.24B Aug 12 1997
/bin/Fsys Fsys32 4.24V Feb 18 2000
/bin/Fsys Floppy 4.24B Aug 19 1997
/bin/Fsys.eide eide 4.25A Feb 09 2000
//1/bin/Dev32 Dev32 4.23G Oct 04 1996
//1/bin/Pipe Pipe 4.23A Feb 26 1996
//1/bin/Dev32.ser Dev32.ser 4.23I Jun 27 1997
//1/bin/Dev32.ser Dev32.ser 4.23I Jun 27 1997
//1/bin/Dev32.ansi Dev32.ansi 4.23H Nov 21 1996
//1/bin/Dev32.par Dev.par 4.26 Feb 24 2000
//1/bin/Dev32.pty Dev32.pty 4.23G Oct 04 1996
//1/bin/Fsys.eide eide 4.25A Feb 09 2000
//1/bin/Iso9660fsys Iso9660fsys 4.23D Mar 20 2000
//1/bin/Net Net 4.25C Aug 30 1999
//1/*/5.0/usr/ucb/Tcpip Tcpip 5.00A Jan 26 2001
//1/bin/Dosfsys Dosfsys 4.23E Jan 21 1997
//1/bin/Net.ether2100 Net.ether210 4.24G Feb 17 2000

Hugh Brown

Re: VMWare

Post by Hugh Brown » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:00 pm

Previously, Frank Liu wrote in qdn.public.news:
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

Yep got it working, took me a while to figure out VMWare somehow changes
the MAC address of the network card.

I am having some issues with the Net.ether2100 driver. I have
to slay and restart it ever time after the virtual machine reboots.
Maybe I am running an old version?
No, this driver hasn't changed in ages, so you have the current version.
# sin ver
PROGRAM NAME VERSION DATE
/boot/sys/Proc32 Proc 4.25J Sep 09 1999
/boot/sys/Proc32 Slib16 4.23G Oct 04 1996
/boot/sys/Slib32 Slib32 4.24B Aug 12 1997
/bin/Fsys Fsys32 4.24V Feb 18 2000
/bin/Fsys Floppy 4.24B Aug 19 1997
/bin/Fsys.eide eide 4.25A Feb 09 2000
//1/bin/Dev32 Dev32 4.23G Oct 04 1996
//1/bin/Pipe Pipe 4.23A Feb 26 1996
//1/bin/Dev32.ser Dev32.ser 4.23I Jun 27 1997
//1/bin/Dev32.ser Dev32.ser 4.23I Jun 27 1997
//1/bin/Dev32.ansi Dev32.ansi 4.23H Nov 21 1996
//1/bin/Dev32.par Dev.par 4.26 Feb 24 2000
//1/bin/Dev32.pty Dev32.pty 4.23G Oct 04 1996
//1/bin/Fsys.eide eide 4.25A Feb 09 2000
//1/bin/Iso9660fsys Iso9660fsys 4.23D Mar 20 2000
//1/bin/Net Net 4.25C Aug 30 1999
//1/*/5.0/usr/ucb/Tcpip Tcpip 5.00A Jan 26 2001
//1/bin/Dosfsys Dosfsys 4.23E Jan 21 1997
//1/bin/Net.ether2100 Net.ether210 4.24G Feb 17 2000

Guest

Re: VMWare

David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon
are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router).

FLEET is not a routeable protocol. It is an ethernet level protocol,
using MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

I was able to get QNX4 FLEET working by using VMware's bridge network.

Yep got it working, took me a while to figure out VMWare somehow changes
the MAC address of the network card.
a collegue told me that VMware uses a different MAC on every start by default.
There is a option somewhere in VMware though to get a fixed MAC Adress!

Post by Mario Charest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:08 am

David Gibbs <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote:
Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and
Photon
are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the
real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router).

FLEET is not a routeable protocol. It is an ethernet level protocol,
using MAC addresses, not IP addresses.

I was able to get QNX4 FLEET working by using VMware's bridge network.

Yep got it working, took me a while to figure out VMWare somehow
changes
the MAC address of the network card.

a collegue told me that VMware uses a different MAC on every start by
default.
There is a option somewhere in VMware though to get a fixed MAC Adress!
I don't need a fix MAC address I'm using Automap ;) But thanks for the
info. Now that I think of it from memory it did reuse the same MAC address.

- Mario

Mario Charest

Re: VMWare

Post by Mario Charest » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:16 pm

"Mario Charest" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon
are
working fine. The way I setup networking FLEET doesn't work (the real
machine acts as a TCP/IP router). There is an option to have the VM use
the
network card directly but I beleive you need a second network card for
that.
The machine I tested this on is a P4 2.4 and QNX4 felt faster then on a P3
450Mzh. IOzone reported faster performance then on my laptop! ( I never
installed QNX4 on the P4 so I can't compare between native and virtual
performance)

I was able to install QNX6, but the VM will crash when Photon tries to
start
the vesabios driver. If Photon isn't started I can get to the prompt and
run stuff (I didn't tried networking)
Networking is working under QNX6. I was able to get phindows to talk to
QNX6 while it was running in the VM. Best of all the VM and Phindows were
running on the same machine ;-)

I installed extra packages from the CD that was hook via FireWire. The VM
present the CD via an IDE interface to QNX6 even though in windows it's
connect via FireWire.

I can do backup of QNX4 and 6 real easy as the virtual HDs are normal
windows files. I can move the whole QNX4/6 config from PC to PC by merelly
copying the HD image files. I could use any type of RAID environment.

I install RedHat for the fun of it, and since I'm not using it I compressed
the image file (via NTFS). It went from 1.5Gig to 800Meg... Realy nice
since on my laptop I'm short of disk space, I can compress the QNX HD images

I'm now using this setup for my day to day work.

As far as I'm concern this is an awesome setup.

- Mario

Cowboy

Re: VMWare

Post by Cowboy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:05 am

In article <bgi3r4$90$1@inn.qnx.com>, Mario Charest wrote:
I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon are
working fine.
Running with the SVGA driver, but the mouse doesn't work
under QNX only.
Mouse works fine with any other OS, and I've tried all of the
combinations available for VMWare 4.0.

Any suggestions ??

--
Cowboy

She has an alarm clock and a phone that don't ring -- they applaud.

Mario Charest

Re: VMWare

Post by Mario Charest » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:19 pm

"Cowboy" <curt@gwis.com> wrote in message
In article <bgi3r4$90$1@inn.qnx.com>, Mario Charest wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon
are
working fine.

Running with the SVGA driver, but the mouse doesn't work
under QNX only.
Mouse works fine with any other OS, and I've tried all of the
combinations available for VMWare 4.0.

Any suggestions ??
Are you starting the mouse driver yourself or letting ph start it for you?
I'm using ph, and it works fine for me.

- Mario

The meek shall inherit the earth,
and the bank shall repossess it all.

Cowboy

Re: VMWare

Post by Cowboy » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:05 am

In article <bl1kin$1a9$1@inn.qnx.com>, Mario Charest wrote:
"Cowboy" <curt@gwis.com> wrote in message
In article <bgi3r4$90$1@inn.qnx.com>, Mario Charest wrote:

I tried VMWare 4.0 and got QNX4 to install and work. TCP/IP and Photon
are
working fine.

Running with the SVGA driver, but the mouse doesn't work
under QNX only.
Mouse works fine with any other OS, and I've tried all of the
combinations available for VMWare 4.0.

Any suggestions ??

Are you starting the mouse driver yourself or letting ph start it for you?
I'm using ph, and it works fine for me.
Letting ph start it.

If I start QNX with no photon, everything works from a console
interface as expected.
Starting photon, it also works with the keyboard functions
available, but the mouse pointer will not move from the upper
left corner of the display pretty much no matter what.

I don't remember enough to be able to cat the mouse device
in qnx to see if anything is happening at all ?

I suspect qnx is starting a driver for the wrong device, due
to the way it talks to VMWare, but am not sure.

--
Cowboy

Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones,
as the wind blows out candles and fans fires.
-- La Rochefoucauld

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.news”