The Future of QUICS newsgroups

bridged with qdn.public.news
Debbie Kane

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Debbie Kane » Thu Aug 31, 2000 3:45 pm

"Norton Allen" <allen@huarp.harvard.edu> wrote in message

Why was the higher granularity abandoned? I found it very
useful when I didn't have too much free time to just check
a couple conferences in which I was active to see if I needed
to reply to anything. Now with everything mixed in, it takes
much more effort to figure out what is relevant.
I think with QUICS, the granularity was too fine, so these are the groups we
are starting out with.
Do you have any suggestions for QNX4 breakdown?

Norton Allen

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Norton Allen » Thu Aug 31, 2000 3:50 pm

Debbie Kane wrote:
"Sam Roberts" <sam@cogent.ca> wrote in message

So all of quics.experts.* have been replaced by
qdn.public.qnx4/photon/news,
and all but photon questions should be posted to the qnx4 group?

Sam

yes
Why was the higher granularity abandoned? I found it very
useful when I didn't have too much free time to just check
a couple conferences in which I was active to see if I needed
to reply to anything. Now with everything mixed in, it takes
much more effort to figure out what is relevant.

Bill at Sierra Design

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Bill at Sierra Design » Thu Aug 31, 2000 4:54 pm

Funny! I though it could have been broken down even more. I think a great
conference would have been for SHELL questions.

Count me in for better (increased) "granularity" (more specific
conferences).

At a very minimum, each program product should have it's own conference.

Debbie Kane <debbie@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Norton Allen" <allen@huarp.harvard.edu> wrote in message

Why was the higher granularity abandoned? I found it very
useful when I didn't have too much free time to just check
a couple conferences in which I was active to see if I needed
to reply to anything. Now with everything mixed in, it takes
much more effort to figure out what is relevant.

I think with QUICS, the granularity was too fine, so these are the groups
we
are starting out with.
Do you have any suggestions for QNX4 breakdown?

Stephen Thomas

Post by Stephen Thomas » Sat Sep 02, 2000 3:46 am

Debbie Kane <debbie@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Norton Allen" <allen@huarp.harvard.edu> wrote in message

Why was the higher granularity abandoned? I found it very
useful when I didn't have too much free time to just check
a couple conferences in which I was active to see if I needed
to reply to anything. Now with everything mixed in, it takes
much more effort to figure out what is relevant.

I think with QUICS, the granularity was too fine, so these are the groups
we
are starting out with.
Do you have any suggestions for QNX4 breakdown?
Yes, I see a need for at least the following:
qdn.public.qnx4.net
qdn.public.qnx4.fsys
qdn.public.qnx4.migration (to NTO)

Most of these look familiar, no doubt. ;-)
This would also make it easier on QSSL developer to quickly find and answer
questions in their area. Also, perhaps qdn.public.photon should be replaced
with two groups specific to photon on QNX4 or NTO?

Sam Roberts

Post by Sam Roberts » Wed Sep 06, 2000 3:49 am

Previously, Stephen Thomas wrote in qdn.public.news:
Debbie Kane <debbie@qnx.com> wrote in message
Do you have any suggestions for QNX4 breakdown?

Yes, I see a need for at least the following:
qdn.public.qnx4.net
qdn.public.qnx4.fsys
qdn.public.qnx4.migration (to NTO)
Or maybe break configuration/setup questions out from
development?

rtp.setup
rtp.devel

Sam

--
Sam Roberts, sroberts at uniserve dot com, www.emyr.net/Sam

Ken Recchia

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Ken Recchia » Wed Sep 06, 2000 2:51 pm

Definitely have a FAQ and a group for people to ask 'which group should
I post this question to?' It will happen.

Sam Roberts wrote:
Previously, Stephen Thomas wrote in qdn.public.news:
Debbie Kane <debbie@qnx.com> wrote in message
Do you have any suggestions for QNX4 breakdown?

Yes, I see a need for at least the following:
qdn.public.qnx4.net
qdn.public.qnx4.fsys
qdn.public.qnx4.migration (to NTO)

Or maybe break configuration/setup questions out from
development?

rtp.setup
rtp.devel

Sam

--
Sam Roberts, sroberts at uniserve dot com, www.emyr.net/Sam

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Sep 08, 2000 2:43 am

"Debbie Kane" <debbie@qnx.com> wrote in message
"Brown, Richard" <brownr@aecl.ca> wrote in message
Is there any plans to move private and beta over with user
authentication?
It is a bit of a pain to have to switch to and fro.

- Richard

Yes, this is the plan, but we aren't ready yet.
I still don't understand how QUICS conference works since the beginning,
I was happy to use Outlook to access inn.qnx.com ! =P

Why not transferring everything beta to qdn.public.qnxrealtimeplatform.beta
?!?

or create

qdn.public.beta.xxx forums

Fred.

Post by Debbie Kane » Fri Sep 08, 2000 12:36 pm

"Fred" <fprog@stupid_spam.users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
I still don't understand how QUICS conference works since the beginning,
I was happy to use Outlook to access inn.qnx.com ! =P

Why not transferring everything beta to
qdn.public.qnxrealtimeplatform.beta
?!?

or create

qdn.public.beta.xxx forums

Fred.
Our betas are not typically public. We will be transferring all the beta
conferences over to nntp.qnx.com, and will use authentication to control
access. When you apply and are accepted to the beta program, you will
receive your access codes. There will also be private groups for customers
with support plans, and members of our partners pogram.

Once the QNX RtP is released, we will probably be adding a few groups to the
list:
ie.
qdn.public.qrtp.apps
qdn.public.qrtp.tools
qdn.public.qrtp.neutrino
qdn.public.qrtp.photon

- Deb

Ken Recchia

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Ken Recchia » Fri Sep 22, 2000 4:33 pm

May I suggest a newsgroup for sales questions/rants/non-techinical
questions/issues like:

qdn.public.sales or
qdn.public.rant or
qdn.public.non-technical

You could use qdn.public.news but it's not really news is it?

While I like a lively discussion from time to time, the rants and constant
discussions on things like pricing and what QNX or Dan the president should do
or not do are irritating at times. Generally the posted statements by the
public are way off base The discussions can be entertaining and I love
eloquent dialog but lets put it in it's own group please.

Now that's my $0.02.

KenR

Debbie Kane wrote:
As the QDN newsgroups have had significant activity over the last few
months, we feel it is time to make the move and archive the QUICS
conferences, which will continue to be available as a reference. As of the
end of this week, we will no longer be monitoring the QUICS conferences.
(We will continue to provide access to quics.private.* and quics.beta.*)

QNX developers will enjoy unlimited read/write access to all public QNX
newsgroups, using standard newsreaders, TIN, TRN, or Vmail. To access the
following newsgroups directly, simply go to news://inn.qnx.com.

qdn.public.qnx2
qdn.public.neutrino
qdn.public.qnx4
qdn.public.photon
qdn.public.porting
qdn.public.news
qdn.public.qnxjobs
qdn.public.qnxrealtimeplatform.beta

We will, of course, continue support for ongoing threads in QUICS, but new
postings shouldl be directed to the QDN.

For comments, please post in qdn.public.news

Debbie Kane
Manager, Technical Support

Chris Travis

Post by Chris Travis » Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:41 pm

In qdn.public.news Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
May I suggest a newsgroup for sales questions/rants/non-techinical
questions/issues like:

qdn.public.sales or
qdn.public.rant or
qdn.public.non-technical
Actually, the qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy is for this...

Chris

Debbie Kane wrote:

[...]

Post by Ken Recchia » Thu Sep 28, 2000 3:03 pm

Thanks - I just found out about that one. I hope it is used - sometimes I like to
read rants but not all the time.

Debbie Kane wrote:

[...]

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.news”