The Future of QUICS newsgroups

bridged with qdn.public.news
Debbie Kane

The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Debbie Kane » Tue Aug 22, 2000 7:45 pm

As the QDN newsgroups have had significant activity over the last few
months, we feel it is time to make the move and archive the QUICS
conferences, which will continue to be available as a reference. As of the
end of this week, we will no longer be monitoring the QUICS conferences.
(We will continue to provide access to quics.private.* and quics.beta.*)

QNX developers will enjoy unlimited read/write access to all public QNX
newsgroups, using standard newsreaders, TIN, TRN, or Vmail. To access the
following newsgroups directly, simply go to news://inn.qnx.com.

qdn.public.qnx2
qdn.public.neutrino
qdn.public.qnx4
qdn.public.photon
qdn.public.porting
qdn.public.news
qdn.public.qnxjobs
qdn.public.qnxrealtimeplatform.beta

We will, of course, continue support for ongoing threads in QUICS, but new
postings shouldl be directed to the QDN.

For comments, please post in qdn.public.news

Debbie Kane
Manager, Technical Support

Sam Roberts

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Sam Roberts » Tue Aug 22, 2000 9:10 pm

So all of quics.experts.* have been replaced by qdn.public.qnx4/photon/news,
and all but photon questions should be posted to the qnx4 group?

Sam

--
Sam Roberts (sam@cogent.ca), Cogent Real-Time Systems (www.cogent.ca)

Igor Kovalenko

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Aug 23, 2000 5:20 am

How do you plan to support corporate customers, most of which are behind firewalls? I can't access any NNTP servers outside of Motorola from my work. The QUICS newsgroups have advantage that we could read them using tin in a telnet session (most companies allow telnet & ftp access in one way or another).

I tried to use tin on QUICS to read qdn.x.x groups, but since /etc/nntpserver is unwritable for me and my embedded-too-restricted-almost-shell does not recognize environment variables in command line and does no allow to export them, I can't use tin on QUICS to access any NNTP servers.

You could of course change /etc/nntpserver to point to inn.qnx.com, but then how do we access private and beta groups from news.qnx.com?

The bottom line, you need some kind of two-way news-mail gateway. Then there could be a mailing list dubbing every qdn group. Otherwise you could create comp.os.qnx.xxx groups.

- igor

[...]

Colin Burgess

Post by Colin Burgess » Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:41 am

Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@home.com> wrote:
[...]

Wow, this is the first time that I've seen someone actually _prefer_
telnet/tin over an external NNTP reader! ;v)

--
cburgess@qnx.com

Brown, Richard

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Brown, Richard » Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:51 am

Is there any plans to move private and beta over with user authentication?
It is a bit of a pain to have to switch to and fro.

- Richard

Debbie Kane <debbie@qnx.com> wrote in article
<8nula0$nrp$1@nntp.qnx.com>...
(We will continue to provide access to quics.private.* and quics.beta.*)
Debbie Kane
Manager, Technical Support

Guest

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2000 12:12 pm

Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@home.com> wrote:
How do you plan to support corporate customers, most of which are behind
firewalls? I can't access any NNTP servers outside of Motorola from my
work. The QUICS newsgroups have advantage that we could read them using
tin in a telnet session (most companies allow telnet & ftp access in one
way or another).
I guess we are push these types of issues into your court... I'm sure if you
speak with your friendly neighbourhood IT guys, they could open up 119 to
inn.qnx.com :-) The whole idea here is to make this service more flexible to
the masses... and it was decided that NNTP was the way to go.

You could always telnet to the box you posted this message from and read/post
at inn.qnx.com ;-)
I tried to use tin on QUICS to read qdn.x.x groups, but since
/etc/nntpserver is unwritable for me and my
embedded-too-restricted-almost-shell does not recognize environment
variables in command line and does no allow to export them, I can't
use tin on QUICS to access any NNTP servers.
That is correct. This will NOT be available. The tin you are running at
quics.qnx.com is a hacked up version... that is very limited. Not to mention
the very restricted shell account that you are using it in...
You could of course change /etc/nntpserver to point to inn.qnx.com, but
then how do we access private and beta groups from news.qnx.com?

The bottom line, you need some kind of two-way news-mail gateway. Then
there could be a mailing list dubbing every qdn group.
I doubt that this will happen... as we are moving away from our proprietary
conferencing service... this would just prolong the life of QUICS and debbie
has been telling everyone for months that the traditional QUICS service model
is being replaced by QDN (http://support.qnx.com & news://inn.qnx.com)
Otherwise you could create comp.os.qnx.xxx groups.
--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Debbie Kane

Post by Debbie Kane » Wed Aug 23, 2000 3:14 pm

"Brown, Richard" <brownr@aecl.ca> wrote in message
Is there any plans to move private and beta over with user authentication?
It is a bit of a pain to have to switch to and fro.

- Richard
Yes, this is the plan, but we aren't ready yet.

Igor Kovalenko

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Aug 23, 2000 4:21 pm

Previously, joe@qnx.com wrote in qdn.public.news, quics.info:
Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@home.com> wrote:
How do you plan to support corporate customers, most of which are behind
firewalls? I can't access any NNTP servers outside of Motorola from my
work. The QUICS newsgroups have advantage that we could read them using
tin in a telnet session (most companies allow telnet & ftp access in one
way or another).

I guess we are push these types of issues into your court... I'm sure if you
speak with your friendly neighbourhood IT guys, they could open up 119 to
inn.qnx.com :-)
However friendly they are, "that is not an option" was the answer.

The whole idea here is to make this service more flexible to
the masses... and it was decided that NNTP was the way to go.

You could always telnet to the box you posted this message from and read/post
at inn.qnx.com ;-)
Yes, but that requires one to have box with account and good connection running somewhere outside. The one I'm posting from is my home box and I'll have to let it run NTO non-stop to do that, which will undoubtedly interfere with my children who want to play games while I'm at work !
I doubt that this will happen... as we are moving away from our proprietary
conferencing service... this would just prolong the life of QUICS and debbie
has been telling everyone for months that the traditional QUICS service model
is being replaced by QDN (http://support.qnx.com & news://inn.qnx.com)
Whatever you do, if you make life of corporate customers harder than it should be, you're looking for long term financial problems. I bet not everyone will be persistent enough to work around the problem of getting to technical support channel.

- Igor

Bill at Sierra Design

Post by Bill at Sierra Design » Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:09 pm

Colin Burgess <cburgess@qnx.com> wrote in message
Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@home.com> wrote:
How do you plan to support corporate customers, most of which are behind
firewalls? I can't access any NNTP servers outside of Motorola from my work.
The QUICS newsgroups have advantage that we could read them using tin in a
telnet session (most companies allow telnet & ftp access in one way or
another).
Wow, this is the first time that I've seen someone actually _prefer_
telnet/tin over an external NNTP reader! ;v)

--
cburgess@qnx.com
No it's not!

Read all of the complaints in Quics about doing away with Quics.

Guest

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2000 12:00 am

Debbie Kane <debbie@qnx.com> wrote:
As the QDN newsgroups have had significant activity over the last few
months, we feel it is time to make the move and archive the QUICS
conferences, which will continue to be available as a reference. As of the
end of this week, we will no longer be monitoring the QUICS conferences.
(We will continue to provide access to quics.private.* and quics.beta.*)
Sorry if this has already been answered, but what's QUICS?

Can I get a copy?

Sam Roberts

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Sam Roberts » Thu Aug 24, 2000 5:28 pm

ping.

Post by Debbie Kane » Thu Aug 24, 2000 6:14 pm

"Sam Roberts" <sam@cogent.ca> wrote in message
So all of quics.experts.* have been replaced by
qdn.public.qnx4/photon/news,
and all but photon questions should be posted to the qnx4 group?

Sam
yes

Igor Kovalenko

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Thu Aug 24, 2000 6:31 pm

Bill at Sierra Design <BC@SierraDesign.com> wrote in message
Colin Burgess <cburgess@qnx.com> wrote in message
Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@home.com> wrote:
How do you plan to support corporate customers, most of which are
behind
firewalls? I can't access any NNTP servers outside of Motorola from my
work.
The QUICS newsgroups have advantage that we could read them using tin in a
telnet session (most companies allow telnet & ftp access in one way or
another).

Wow, this is the first time that I've seen someone actually _prefer_
telnet/tin over an external NNTP reader! ;v)

--
cburgess@qnx.com

No it's not!

Read all of the complaints in Quics about doing away with Quics.
Not that I likeed it, just had no choice ;)
Well, I'm posting from Motorola now, finally got SOCKS working...

- igor

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 25, 2000 1:14 pm

Igor Kovalenko <Igor.Kovalenko@motorola.com> wrote:
Not that I likeed it, just had no choice ;)
Well, I'm posting from Motorola now, finally got SOCKS working...
Well that's good to hear, welcome to the 90's ;-)

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Igor Kovalenko

Re: The Future of QUICS newsgroups

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Fri Aug 25, 2000 3:26 pm

Hey it's not 90's anymore ;)

joe@qnx.com wrote:
Igor Kovalenko <Igor.Kovalenko@motorola.com> wrote:
Not that I likeed it, just had no choice ;)
Well, I'm posting from Motorola now, finally got SOCKS working...

Well that's good to hear, welcome to the 90's ;-)

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.news”