QNX4 Updates System Updated!

bridged with qdn.public.news
Post Reply
Debbie Kane

QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Debbie Kane » Thu Jul 27, 2000 3:49 pm

By the end of this week, you will have the option to update using the CD
archives format, or by the old_style patch format.

QNX4 CD archive updates will be available for download through the QDN
support site at http://support.qnx.com/download/updates. All you require to
install the updates are valid QNX 4 licenses which you will need in order
to unlock the contents of the archives when you install them on your
development system.

QNX development systems have been shipped in CD-ROM format for several
years now. The update archives are in the format used by the CD-ROM
installer and you will need the CD installer to use the new update
archives. To update an old development system that does not use the CD
installer you will need to purchase an update CD first in order to be able
to use the new update archives.

Note to current users:

The existing method of obtaining updates and patches will continue to work
at least until the beginning of January 2001. If you automate the download
of updates and patches this will give you a six month period to adapt your
scripts to the new update mechanism.

Richard R. Kramer

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Richard R. Kramer » Fri Jul 28, 2000 12:01 am

It would be helpful to advertise the date or version of the TCP/IP
updates; for example, on Quics in /updates/tcprt/Released there are 425,
425A, 425B & 425C versions. Is the version on:
http://support.qnx.com/download/updates ... index.html
one of these?


Debbie Kane wrote:
By the end of this week, you will have the option to update using the CD
archives format, or by the old_style patch format.

QNX4 CD archive updates will be available for download through the QDN
support site at http://support.qnx.com/download/updates. All you require to
install the updates are valid QNX 4 licenses which you will need in order
to unlock the contents of the archives when you install them on your
development system.

QNX development systems have been shipped in CD-ROM format for several
years now. The update archives are in the format used by the CD-ROM
installer and you will need the CD installer to use the new update
archives. To update an old development system that does not use the CD
installer you will need to purchase an update CD first in order to be able
to use the new update archives.

Note to current users:

The existing method of obtaining updates and patches will continue to work
at least until the beginning of January 2001. If you automate the download
of updates and patches this will give you a six month period to adapt your
scripts to the new update mechanism.

Ken Recchia

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Ken Recchia » Fri Jul 28, 2000 6:46 pm

http://support.qnx.com/download/updates ... index.html
References QNX425PatchD.tar but I don't see that file. What am I missing?

Guest

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 02, 2000 7:15 pm

In qdn.public.qnx4 Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
http://support.qnx.com/download/updates ... index.html
References QNX425PatchD.tar but I don't see that file. What am I missing?
fixed.

sorry for the delay.

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Ken Recchia

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Ken Recchia » Wed Aug 02, 2000 8:51 pm

Thanks. Delays are acceptable as long as the product is good. By the way - I
have not been disappointed yet.

KenR

joe@qnx.com wrote:
In qdn.public.qnx4 Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
http://support.qnx.com/download/updates ... index.html
References QNX425PatchD.tar but I don't see that file. What am I missing?

fixed.

sorry for the delay.

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Ken Recchia

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Ken Recchia » Thu Aug 03, 2000 7:23 pm

Now following the instructions in the file 'qnx4_OS/index.html' file, step one:
"use the following command: /etc/install -u QNX425PatchD.tar which will place
the archive components into your current working directory under 'updates'
directory..."
the archives are put in /tmp instead.


joe@qnx.com wrote:
In qdn.public.qnx4 Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
http://support.qnx.com/download/updates ... index.html
References QNX425PatchD.tar but I don't see that file. What am I missing?

fixed.

sorry for the delay.

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Guest

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2000 3:31 pm

In qdn.public.news Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
Now following the instructions in the file 'qnx4_OS/index.html' file, step one:
"use the following command: /etc/install -u QNX425PatchD.tar which will place
the archive components into your current working directory under 'updates'
directory..."
the archives are put in /tmp instead.
Thanks for pointing this out... I have recreated the 425patchD.tar archive
to unpack the archives under $CWD/updates

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Ken Recchia

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Ken Recchia » Fri Aug 04, 2000 4:35 pm

Thanks - I will advise if I have any more problems.
KenR

joe@qnx.com wrote:
In qdn.public.news Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
Now following the instructions in the file 'qnx4_OS/index.html' file, step one:
"use the following command: /etc/install -u QNX425PatchD.tar which will place
the archive components into your current working directory under 'updates'
directory..."
the archives are put in /tmp instead.

Thanks for pointing this out... I have recreated the 425patchD.tar archive
to unpack the archives under $CWD/updates

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Ken Recchia

Re: QNX4 Updates System Updated!

Post by Ken Recchia » Sun Aug 06, 2000 7:14 pm

You might want to add some text to the qnx4_OS/index.html instructions. The end of
step 2 states: '...and then you can select the components you wish to install.' It
would be nice if it continued with more details of using the right arrow key to
expand the line '+ QNX Operating System' then use the down arrow key to select the
patch level desired with the spacebar or enter key.

I'm not a writer but I hope you get the idea.

Also the document /ereleasenotes_jun00/cdinstall.html is lacking in this area also.

(This is all in an effort for future new users to have an easier time.)

KenR


joe@qnx.com wrote:
In qdn.public.news Ken Recchia <rectech@nctimes.net> wrote:
Now following the instructions in the file 'qnx4_OS/index.html' file, step one:
"use the following command: /etc/install -u QNX425PatchD.tar which will place
the archive components into your current working directory under 'updates'
directory..."
the archives are put in /tmp instead.

Thanks for pointing this out... I have recreated the 425patchD.tar archive
to unpack the archives under $CWD/updates

--
Joe Bishop (joe@qnx.com)

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.news”