Post Reply
Krupa

Touch Screen

Post by Krupa » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:47 am

Can you please tell us how the touch screen is interfaced to your computer
(serial - RS232?). Before purchasing a touch screen for use with Photon,
what should we check up in the specifications? We require to use a touc
screen for 10" LCD monitor.

What exactly is involved in configuring the touch screens for Photon?

Thanks,
Krupa

From: Kevin Miller <kevin.miller@transcore.com>
Subject: Re: Touchscreen
Date: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 8:49 PM

I have been using the Elotouch resistive touchscreen for many years now; it
responds to the Smartset protocol, which Photon/Input supports. It works
well, but the plastic membrane that serves as the touch surface wears out
with time. Your mileage may vary.

I have also been using the Dynapro near-field imaging touchscreen off and on
over the past two years. I had to write my own driver for it, but so far it
works very well. It has the advantage of having a glass touch surface, which
never wears out. The biggest disadvantage is that it is quite a bit more
expensive than the resistive touchscreen.

We use a company locally who builds custom enclosures for either touchscreen
technology. They also have off-the-shelf touchscreens, and they can provide
full PC solutions as well. www.hmwent.com. I am not affiliated with them,
but they have given us good service over the years.

- Kevin

"Krupa" <seto@vsnl.com> wrote in message news:b6ttet$sm7$2@inn.qnx.com...
Hi,

We require a touch-screen for our 10"LCD monitor used with QNX 4.25.
Which make/model of touchscreen is recommended for use with QNX/Photon?

Thanks,
Krupa

Hardware Support

Re: Touch Screen

Post by Hardware Support » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:17 pm

Hi Krupa,

Most of our touchscreen drivers support serial (RS-232) interface...however
our Microtouch driver also supports ps/2 and I believe usb. Check out our
touchscreen driver documentation (devi-*):
http://www.qnx.com/developer/docs/momen ... ties/utils
-d.html

Configuring a touchscreen is fairly simple:
1) Add an entry to /etc/system/trap/input.<hostname> file to start the
proper touch driver (see docs for details)
2) Start photon
3) Run the touchscreen calibration utility (calib)

Regards,

Joe

From: Kevin Miller <kevin.miller@transcore.com
Date: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 8:49 PM

[...]