How many long time QNX users are still around

bridged with qnx.cafe
Ken Schumm

How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Ken Schumm » Thu May 25, 2006 5:29 pm

Just curious. I've been using QNX since version 1.1 in the early 80's and
have seen big changes in the QSSL since that time. Lots of prolific QNX
users from the past seem to have moved on as the market changed and QNX
moved upscale.

Mario Charest

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Mario Charest » Thu May 25, 2006 7:31 pm

"Ken Schumm" <kwschumm@qsolv.com> wrote in message
Just curious. I've been using QNX since version 1.1 in the early 80's and
have seen big changes in the QSSL since that time. Lots of prolific QNX
users from the past seem to have moved on as the market changed and QNX
moved upscale.
Seems like most have moved away, at least from newsgroup.

- Mario

John Halpenny

Just curious. I've been using QNX since version 1.1 in the early 80's and
have seen big changes in the QSSL since that time. Lots of prolific QNX
users from the past seem to have moved on as the market changed and QNX
moved upscale.

Seems like most have moved away, at least from newsgroup.

- Mario
I've used QNX since about 1988. I don't do much now, but I still check the
groups occasionally

--

John Halpenny

Igor Kovalenko

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Fri May 26, 2006 1:42 pm

7 messages per month in comp.os.qnx. It used to be a high-traffic group
couple years ago ;)
I'd say all the hard work QNX has put into killing off interest of
enthusiast community is paying off...

Post by Mario Charest » Fri May 26, 2006 6:29 pm

I'd say all the hard work QNX has put into killing off interest of
enthusiast community is paying off...
Indeed the enthusiast community or more precisely the non commercial
communicty is pretty much instinct.

That being said, i estimate that 80% of the traffic was generated by less
then 10 people, 19 times out of 20 as stat people would add ;-). So the
community was never that big of a community anyway.

Today there are more official channels to get answer (standard support plan)
so most QNX paying customer aren't showing up public. That's kind of sad in
a way because we don't get an opportunity to share knowledge.

- Mario

Bill Caroselli

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Bill Caroselli » Fri May 26, 2006 7:00 pm

Amen to that Igor. QSSL got exactly what they wanted.

For the record I've been using QNX since 1987, version 2/3.15.F.

The last year and a half I've been out on disability. But I still play with
my own fun projects at home. I'm just now looking to jump back on the horse
and start programming again. God I miss working.

If anyone need a QNX programmer with 19 years experience, either full or
part time, just let me know.

Just curious. I've been using QNX since version 1.1 in the early 80's
and
have seen big changes in the QSSL since that time. Lots of prolific QNX
users from the past seem to have moved on as the market changed and QNX
moved upscale.

Seems like most have moved away, at least from newsgroup.

- Mario

Bill Caroselli

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Bill Caroselli » Fri May 26, 2006 7:04 pm

More recently I agree with you. But you and I were both around during the
late 80's and early 90' when there were hundreds of posters all active on
QUICS (newsgroups for back then).

7 messages per month in comp.os.qnx. It used to be a high-traffic group
couple years ago ;)
I'd say all the hard work QNX has put into killing off interest of
enthusiast community is paying off...
I'm inclined to agree. From all the QNX conferences I probably met hundreds
of QNX users over the years. Sad to see them all gone to the dark side.

John Halpenny

Post by John Halpenny » Mon May 29, 2006 2:41 am

Mario Charest wrote:
I'd say all the hard work QNX has put into killing off interest of
enthusiast community is paying off...

Indeed the enthusiast community or more precisely the non commercial
communicty is pretty much instinct.

That being said, i estimate that 80% of the traffic was generated by less
then 10 people, 19 times out of 20 as stat people would add ;-). So the
community was never that big of a community anyway.

Today there are more official channels to get answer (standard support plan)
so most QNX paying customer aren't showing up public. That's kind of sad in
a way because we don't get an opportunity to share knowledge.
I've looked in on various news groups over the years, and they all seem to
consist of a few regulars and even fewer newcomers. Perhaps it is the nature of
newsgroups these days, and the youngsters are going to other chamnnels, or other
activities.
--

John Halpenny

Guest

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Guest » Mon May 29, 2006 12:09 pm

Here's one who has been consistently using QNX (since 1987) who hasn't gone over to the "dark
side". I will probably retire before I get to that stage (which means I probably never will). I
do, however, dabble with Linux, but I mainly occupy myself with QNX4, with brief forays into
QNX6 for the odd driver or two.

I also regularly read these newsgroups...

Geoff Roberts.

7 messages per month in comp.os.qnx. It used to be a high-traffic group
couple years ago ;)
I'd say all the hard work QNX has put into killing off interest of
enthusiast community is paying off...

I'm inclined to agree. From all the QNX conferences I probably met hundreds
of QNX users over the years. Sad to see them all gone to the dark side.

Bill Caroselli

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Bill Caroselli » Mon May 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Or there just aren't any "youngsters".

"John Halpenny" <j.halpenny@Rogers.com> wrote in message
I've looked in on various news groups over the years, and they all seem to
consist of a few regulars and even fewer newcomers. Perhaps it is the
nature of
newsgroups these days, and the youngsters are going to other chamnnels, or
other
activities.
--

John Halpenny

John Nagle

Post by John Nagle » Tue May 30, 2006 12:29 am

Bill Caroselli wrote:
Or there just aren't any "youngsters".
Our experience with Team Overbot, our DARPA Grand Challenge
team, was that young people viewed learning QNX as having
negative career value. This was a real problem for us.
If we had to do it again, we would have used Linux.

John Nagle

Marty Doane

Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by Marty Doane » Tue May 30, 2006 4:13 pm

Still here full time with QNX 6. Started with 4.24.

Marty Doane

Just curious. I've been using QNX since version 1.1 in the early 80's and
have seen big changes in the QSSL since that time. Lots of prolific QNX
users from the past seem to have moved on as the market changed and QNX
moved upscale.

ianc

RE: Re: How many long time QNX users are still around

Post by ianc » Tue May 30, 2006 11:58 pm

Been using QNX since 1992. This is in a PC based application, not
embedded. Started with QNX2 - did 18 months development and then we
made the big conversion to QNX4. Currently using QNX 4.25

We don't see any need to go to 6. However I must say that if I knew
the political hassles we were going to meet I would have pushed
management to go for Linux. Not as good technically but far less
trouble at the marketing and tech support level. I don't know what
it's like in the US and Canada but here in Oz QNX people are as rare
as hen's teeth. QNX huh? is the usual response.

Our company makes alarm control systems and we have two streams of
management software; one QNX based and one Windows based. My
observation is that my team (the QNX one) gets on with the job at
hand; the Windows team is constantly learning new tools and fads and
consequently is nowhere near as productive.

QNX on the CV is useless but I'm at the age where I no longer care. In
eight months time I'm going for a lifestyle change to raise alpacas
and if I don't see another software project ever!

Pavel Kycina

Just curious. I've been using QNX since version 1.1 in the early 80's and
have seen big changes in the QSSL since that time. Lots of prolific QNX
users from the past seem to have moved on as the market changed and QNX
moved upscale.

I am still here. Struggling with both QNX 4.25 and QNX6.3

Pavol Kycina

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.cafe”