Compressing an OS image with the help of LZO algorithm

bridged with qnx.bsp
Post Reply
Jacek Rudnicki

Compressing an OS image with the help of LZO algorithm

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 am

Hello,

By default an OS image is compressed in the UCL format.
How can I change compression algorithm to the LZO mode?

Regards,
Jacek

Jacek Rudnicki

Re: Compressing an OS image with the help of LZO algorithm

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:53 am

I mean OS image ganerated by the mkifs command.
Is it possible to force LZO compression for it ?

Jacek

U¿ytkownik "Jacek Rudnicki" <jacek.rudnicki@quantum.com.pl> napisa³ w
wiadomo¶ci news:duh3s6$r6d$1@inn.qnx.com...
Hello,

By default an OS image is compressed in the UCL format.
How can I change compression algorithm to the LZO mode?

Regards,
Jacek

Armand C.

Re: Compressing an OS image with the help of LZO algorithm

Post by Armand C. » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:43 am

With the IDE, in the System builder perspective you can select the
compression type in the "Properties" panel when you select your .bld file.

With command line, you can try to add this to your build file
[compress=0] No compression
[compress=1] Zlib
[compress=2] LZO
[compress=3] UCL

Armand

Jacek Rudnicki wrote:
I mean OS image ganerated by the mkifs command.
Is it possible to force LZO compression for it ?

Jacek

U¿ytkownik "Jacek Rudnicki" <jacek.rudnicki@quantum.com.pl> napisa³ w
wiadomo¶ci news:duh3s6$r6d$1@inn.qnx.com...

Hello,

By default an OS image is compressed in the UCL format.
How can I change compression algorithm to the LZO mode?

Regards,
Jacek

Jacek Rudnicki

Re: Compressing an OS image with the help of LZO algorithm

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:05 am

That was very easy.
With command line, you can try to add this to your build file
[compress=0] No compression
[compress=1] Zlib
[compress=2] LZO
[compress=3] UCL
Is it documented somewhere ?

Thank you,
Jacek

Uzytkownik "Armand C." <no@mail.com> napisal w wiadomosci

Jacek Rudnicki wrote:
I mean OS image ganerated by the mkifs command.
Is it possible to force LZO compression for it ?

Jacek

U¿ytkownik "Jacek Rudnicki" <jacek.rudnicki@quantum.com.pl> napisa³ w
wiadomo¶ci news:duh3s6$r6d$1@inn.qnx.com...

Hello,

By default an OS image is compressed in the UCL format.
How can I change compression algorithm to the LZO mode?

Regards,
Jacek

Steve Reid

Re: Compressing an OS image with the help of LZO algorithm

Post by Steve Reid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:59 pm

Jacek Rudnicki <jacek.rudnicki@quantum.com.pl> wrote:
That was very easy.

With command line, you can try to add this to your build file
[compress=0] No compression
[compress=1] Zlib
[compress=2] LZO
[compress=3] UCL

Is it documented somewhere ?
I don't think so. I'll create a PR.

Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
Technical Editor
QNX Software Systems

Steve Reid

Post by Steve Reid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:59 pm

Steve Reid <stever@stevernto.ott.qnx.com> wrote:
Jacek Rudnicki <jacek.rudnicki@quantum.com.pl> wrote:
That was very easy.

With command line, you can try to add this to your build file
[compress=0] No compression
[compress=1] Zlib
[compress=2] LZO
[compress=3] UCL

Is it documented somewhere ?

I don't think so. I'll create a PR.
One of the developers told me that the startup library uses UCL, and those
other options won't work unless you have a special version of the library.
So, you should consider the "compress" attribute to be a boolean as the
docs for mkifs say.

Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
Technical Editor
QNX Software Systems

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:24 am

One of the developers told me that the startup library uses UCL, and those
other options won't work unless you have a special version of the library.
So, you should consider the "compress" attribute to be a boolean as the
docs for mkifs say.
No problems with creating custom startup library and uncompressing OS image.

Thank's,

Post by Jacek Rudnicki » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:28 am

U¿ytkownik "Steve Reid" <stever@stevernto.ott.qnx.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
Jacek Rudnicki <jacek.rudnicki@quantum.com.pl> wrote:
That was very easy.

With command line, you can try to add this to your build file
[compress=0] No compression
[compress=1] Zlib
[compress=2] LZO
[compress=3] UCL

Is it documented somewhere ?

I don't think so. I'll create a PR.
That will be useful especialy for people who are using standard release of
QNX Momentics dev. seat. Where everything is done from the command line; no
IDE.

Regards,
Jacek

Post Reply