Recomended Hardware

bridged with qnx.development_tools
Post Reply
Michael Nunan

Recomended Hardware

Post by Michael Nunan » Mon May 08, 2006 6:56 pm

I hope that this is the right place for this post.

We are just starting a quick development project. We are adding a new
control server into a large existing system. It will connect to the rest of
the system over a TCP/IP socket connection.

We plan to use QNX on redundant rack mounted PC's - we have no need for
blazing speed, reliability is most important.

The question is - does anyone have a suggestion for a rackmount PC
(preferable 1U or 2U) that is fully compatible with QNX Neutrino. We started
developing on a Dell (non rackmount) and had trouble with the SATA hard
drive. We are just looking straight forward PC that QNX is not likely to not
have issues with.

Regards

Michael Nunan
Mobile Satellite Ventures

Mario Charest

Re: Recomended Hardware

Post by Mario Charest » Mon May 08, 2006 10:14 pm

Works on IBM xSeries 346 (that's a 2U model). It also works on a 1U model
but I don't rembmer the specific model number. The onboard network card are
not supported though.

"Michael Nunan" <mjnunan_spam_not@ieee_spam_not.org> wrote in message
[...]

Kevin Miller

Re: Recomended Hardware

Post by Kevin Miller » Tue May 09, 2006 9:07 pm

We are using an Intel motherboard D945GNT in a rack-mounted enclosure. We
put the components together ourselves, so there is no one brand involved.

The Neutrino issues we have with this setup are:

1) The on-board graphics chipset does not work in accelerated mode. This is
ok (for now, at least), as the project does not currently have a GUI. For
development purposes we bought a PCI graphics card, which won't be in the
production version.

2) The on-board network chipset does not have a Neutrino driver. We are
using a PCI NIC instead.

3) SATA drives do not work with the motherboard interface in SATA mode.
There is a BIOS setting to put the SATA interface into "Legacy" mode; this
allows a SATA drive to be used with the Neutrino EIDE driver.

Otherwise, it seems to work well.

[...]

Return to “qnx.development_tools”