QNX on Fedora 4

bridged with qnx.development_tools
Post Reply
Francois Joubert

QNX on Fedora 4

Post by Francois Joubert » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:55 pm

I have tried to install QNX 6.3 on Fedora 4 with no success.

Executing ./qnxSetupLinux.bin, just return to the command line after
trying to prepare the Java Virtual Machine

I have more success with the command:
java -cp ./qnx_linux_setup.jar run

But eventually the installer aborts stating it cannot find the JVM(???).

Only /opt/qnx630/host is created.

Since the uninstaller is not installed, I cannot remove the QNX
installation. Trying to reinstall, the installer states QNX is already
installed.

I have Eclipse running on the computer, therefore I do not understand
why the QNX installer does not see the JVM.

Francois

David Donohoe

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by David Donohoe » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:06 pm

Well that's a co-incidence! I filed a PR about this issue less than half
and hour ago :-)

I found the following workaround. Run this (as root):

/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_08/bin/java -cp ./qnx_linux_setup.jar run

Note that JRE1.5 won't work. I downloaded 1.4.2 from java.sun.com
yesterday.

Cheers,
Dave

Francois Joubert <sommerfj@webmail.co.za> wrote:
I have tried to install QNX 6.3 on Fedora 4 with no success.

Executing ./qnxSetupLinux.bin, just return to the command line after
trying to prepare the Java Virtual Machine

I have more success with the command:
java -cp ./qnx_linux_setup.jar run

But eventually the installer aborts stating it cannot find the JVM(???).

Only /opt/qnx630/host is created.

Since the uninstaller is not installed, I cannot remove the QNX
installation. Trying to reinstall, the installer states QNX is already
installed.

I have Eclipse running on the computer, therefore I do not understand
why the QNX installer does not see the JVM.

Francois

David Donohoe

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by David Donohoe » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:57 pm

David Donohoe <ddonohoe@bulbous.ott.qnx.com> wrote:

You might run into a problem on FC4 with the IDE not starting (fails
because of some shared library segment relocation permission problem).

It turns out to be cause by "selinux". I found that updating selinux
fixed the problem. Here's what I did:

yum install selinux-policy-targeted

Cheers,
Dave
Well that's a co-incidence! I filed a PR about this issue less than half
and hour ago :-)

I found the following workaround. Run this (as root):

/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_08/bin/java -cp ./qnx_linux_setup.jar run

Note that JRE1.5 won't work. I downloaded 1.4.2 from java.sun.com
yesterday.

Cheers,
Dave

Francois Joubert <sommerfj@webmail.co.za> wrote:
I have tried to install QNX 6.3 on Fedora 4 with no success.

Executing ./qnxSetupLinux.bin, just return to the command line after
trying to prepare the Java Virtual Machine

I have more success with the command:
java -cp ./qnx_linux_setup.jar run

But eventually the installer aborts stating it cannot find the JVM(???).

Only /opt/qnx630/host is created.

Since the uninstaller is not installed, I cannot remove the QNX
installation. Trying to reinstall, the installer states QNX is already
installed.

I have Eclipse running on the computer, therefore I do not understand
why the QNX installer does not see the JVM.

Francois

Francois Joubert

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by Francois Joubert » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:14 am

Thank you, it did the trick!

Francois

Steve Reid

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by Steve Reid » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:23 pm

Francois Joubert <sommerfj@webmail.co.za> wrote:
Thank you, it did the trick!
I'm going to add this to the installation and release notes (even though
we don't officially support Fedora).

------------------------------------------
Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
Technical Editor
QNX Software Systems
------------------------------------------

Miguel Simon

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by Miguel Simon » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:59 am

Hi Steve...

Thanks. This addition to the docs will help a lot of QNX customers (e.g.
a few of my co-workers) even if QSSL does not support FCx. Thanks again.

Regards...

Miguel.

Steve Reid wrote:
Francois Joubert <sommerfj@webmail.co.za> wrote:

Thank you, it did the trick!


I'm going to add this to the installation and release notes (even though
we don't officially support Fedora).

------------------------------------------
Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
Technical Editor
QNX Software Systems
------------------------------------------

John Nagle

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by John Nagle » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:45 pm

David Donohoe wrote:
David Donohoe <ddonohoe@bulbous.ott.qnx.com> wrote:

You might run into a problem on FC4 with the IDE not starting (fails
because of some shared library segment relocation permission problem).

It turns out to be cause by "selinux". I found that updating selinux
fixed the problem. Here's what I did:

yum install selinux-policy-targeted

Cheers,
Dave
No! You've just found a bug in the IDE or the Java environment.
Probably self-modifying in a shared object. See

http://65.19.163.231/proj/en/hardened/h ... l#paxnoelf

The proposed "fix" weakens security on the development system.
Weakening security like that is a desperation measure for users
stuck trying to make an obsolete package work. It's not something
a package vendor should do. Developer tools, which do not need
any special privileges, should not violate security.

Fedora is trying to do the right thing, by installing tight
security as the default. Don't fight it. Fix it.

John Nagle

Frank Liu

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by Frank Liu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:20 am

John Nagle <nagle@downside.com> wrote:
The proposed "fix" weakens security on the development system.
Come on, it is just a development system.
I have selinux disabled on all dev machines.

Now, if it is a production machine exposed to the Internet, that's
a different story.

Frank

John Nagle

Re: QNX on Fedora 4

Post by John Nagle » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:22 pm

Frank Liu wrote:
John Nagle <nagle@downside.com> wrote:

The proposed "fix" weakens security on the development system.


Come on, it is just a development system.
I have selinux disabled on all dev machines.

Now, if it is a production machine exposed to the Internet, that's
a different story.

Frank
My point is that while the system administrator may choose
to disable security, it's inappropriate for a vendor to
ship a product that requires them to do so. Especially when
that product is likely to run on development systems used to
build code that runs on key infrastructure.

This document from the National Security Agency
may be helpful.

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/papers/policy2-abs.cfm

John Nagle

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.development_tools”