SDL update...

bridged with qnx.development_tools
Post Reply
Miguel Simon

SDL update...

Post by Miguel Simon » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:53 am

Hi...

I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL for
QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7) of the
SDL libraries? Thanks.

Regards...

Miguel.

Frank Liu

Re: SDL update...

Post by Frank Liu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:56 am

Miguel Simon <simon@ou.edu> wrote:
Hi...

I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL for
QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7) of the
SDL libraries? Thanks.
I think the latest version is at QOR thanks to lmike.

Mike Gorchak

Re: SDL update...

Post by Mike Gorchak » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:09 pm

Hello, Miguel!

MS> I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL for
MS> QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7) of the
MS> SDL libraries? Thanks.

Last my update for SDL code (1.2.8-development branch) was Aug 21, then I
have dropped SDL development for a while due to 6.3 beta license has been
expired. Few weeks ago I got a package from QSS with 6.3 release (thanks to
QSS ! :) ) but I've no TDK licenses, so OpenGL part of SDL will be frozen
(but it is ready to use with the new 6.3 OpenGL framework, all code in the
CVS already). Recently added code (but not yet commited) for the midi
support for the SDL_mixer also will be frozen due to lack of the TDK
licenses. SDL 1.2.8 and all SDL_* sattellites will be available soon at QOR,
but without OpenGL and midi support.

Right now I'm busy with the 'right' porting a big bundle of the fresh
GNU/BSD packages to the 6.3. We are planning to do the QOR OpenCD (instead
of dead PublicCD) :)

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Chris Herborth

Re: SDL update...

Post by Chris Herborth » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:36 pm

Miguel Simon wrote:
I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL for
QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7) of the
SDL libraries? Thanks.
Grab the source and compile? AFAIK the QNX port hasn't been removed
from the base SDL code...

--
Chris Herborth (cherborth@qnx.com)
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.

Mike Gorchak

Re: SDL update...

Post by Mike Gorchak » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:45 am

Hello, Chris!

??>> I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL
??>> for QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7)
??>> of the SDL libraries? Thanks.
CH> Grab the source and compile? AFAIK the QNX port hasn't been removed
CH> from the base SDL code...

Heh ! It will not be removed ! QNX Photon/Audio/CD-ROM code by size and
complexity standing near Linux/X11 code.

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Miguel Simon

Re: SDL update...

Post by Miguel Simon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:33 am

Hi Chris...

Yes, I did grap the source, and all is well. Good work porting SDL 1.2.8
(Good work Patrick Trainor, Jim Boucher, and Mike Gorchak!).

(Of course, I do not have openGL support, I would have to buy the TDK if
I can afford it, does any one know how much is the openGL TDK? I
contacted my sales rep, but I did not hear an answer yet).


The only thing is that I could not detect the joystick. Any ideas on how
to tell QNX that there is a joystick in the system? And I suppose that
if QNX knows about the joystick, then SDL will do so as well? Thanks.


Regards...

Miguel.



Chris Herborth wrote:
Miguel Simon wrote:

I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL
for QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7)
of the SDL libraries? Thanks.


Grab the source and compile? AFAIK the QNX port hasn't been removed
from the base SDL code...

Miguel Simon

Re: SDL update...

Post by Miguel Simon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:37 am

Hi Mike...

Good job porting SDL! It compiled with no hiccups. Most excellent work.

Now, how do I detect the joystick? Any ideas? Thanks.

(I do not hear sound, but that is related to QNX I believe, and I will
ask a question in another post in another place.)

Thanks for your work and help...

Regards...

Miguel.



Mike Gorchak wrote:
Hello, Chris!

??>> I was searching for an SDL update for QNX, but they do not have SDL
??>> for QNX any longer. How could I get a hold of the older version (.7)
??>> of the SDL libraries? Thanks.
CH> Grab the source and compile? AFAIK the QNX port hasn't been removed
CH> from the base SDL code...

Heh ! It will not be removed ! QNX Photon/Audio/CD-ROM code by size and
complexity standing near Linux/X11 code.

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Mike Gorchak

Re: SDL update...

Post by Mike Gorchak » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:42 am

Hello, Miguel!

MS> Now, how do I detect the joystick? Any ideas? Thanks.

Joysticks are not supported by QNX. Nor connected via midi, nor USB. So if
somone will write a joystick driver for QNX with a bit unified architecture,
I will add code to SDL.

P.S. I do not have any joystick even to try to write the driver :) Last my
joystick was on ZX Spectrum :)

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Miguel Simon

Re: SDL update...

Post by Miguel Simon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 pm

Hi Mike...

Ok, I see. I think that John Nagle has a joystick driver. Just
wondering, how fast could you import a joystick driver into the SDL
distribution? Days, weeks, or months? Thanks.

Regards...

Miguel.



Mike Gorchak wrote:
Hello, Miguel!

MS> Now, how do I detect the joystick? Any ideas? Thanks.

Joysticks are not supported by QNX. Nor connected via midi, nor USB. So if
somone will write a joystick driver for QNX with a bit unified architecture,
I will add code to SDL.

P.S. I do not have any joystick even to try to write the driver :) Last my
joystick was on ZX Spectrum :)

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Miguel Simon

Re: SDL update...

Post by Miguel Simon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi Mike...

I have another question. In the third party software, I saw that you
have a SDL_GUI and other similar things. Are those compatible with the
1.2.8 distribution, or are these SDL_* offerings something different?
Thanks.

Regards...

Miguel.


Mike Gorchak wrote:
Hello, Miguel!

MS> Now, how do I detect the joystick? Any ideas? Thanks.

Joysticks are not supported by QNX. Nor connected via midi, nor USB. So if
somone will write a joystick driver for QNX with a bit unified architecture,
I will add code to SDL.

P.S. I do not have any joystick even to try to write the driver :) Last my
joystick was on ZX Spectrum :)

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Mike Gorchak

Re: SDL update...

Post by Mike Gorchak » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:04 am

Hello, Miguel!

MS> Ok, I see. I think that John Nagle has a joystick driver. Just
MS> wondering, how fast could you import a joystick driver into the SDL
MS> distribution? Days, weeks, or months? Thanks.

Depends on API of that Joystick Driver, but I think that it will be "Days"
:)

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Mike Gorchak

Re: SDL update...

Post by Mike Gorchak » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:07 am

Hello, Miguel!

MS> I have another question. In the third party software, I saw that you
MS> have a SDL_GUI and other similar things. Are those compatible with the
MS> 1.2.8 distribution, or are these SDL_* offerings something different?
MS> Thanks.

All other SDL_* sattelites was builded by Dave Rempel, and yes - they are
provide additional functionality over SDL, but they are using SDL as
backend.

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: mike@malva.com.ua

Bert Menkveld

Re: SDL update...

Post by Bert Menkveld » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:35 pm

"Mike Gorchak" <mike@malva.com.ua> wrote in message
news:cpucns$56k$1@inn.qnx.com...
....
P.S. I do not have any joystick even to try to write the driver :) Last my
joystick was on ZX Spectrum :)
Wow, you actually had a ZX Spectrum! I used to drool over the ads showing
the wonderful micro-tape storage device, which sounded so much better
than using my casette deck with my ZX-81.

Oh for the good old days of writing machine code embedded in
BASIC REM statements....

--
Bert Menkveld
P.Eng.
B&E Technologies
bert@betech.biz

David Donohoe

Re: SDL update...

Post by David Donohoe » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:06 pm

Bert Menkveld <bert@betech.biz> wrote:
"Mike Gorchak" <mike@malva.com.ua> wrote in message
news:cpucns$56k$1@inn.qnx.com...
...

P.S. I do not have any joystick even to try to write the driver :) Last my
joystick was on ZX Spectrum :)

Wow, you actually had a ZX Spectrum! I used to drool over the ads showing
the wonderful micro-tape storage device, which sounded so much better
than using my casette deck with my ZX-81.
I remember being very excited when I upgraded my ZX81 to the spectrum.
When I plugged it in, it didn't work! I had to wait two weeks for a
replacement unit... it almost killed me! I never had the micro-tape
storage, or the joystick :-( I did have the 48K expansion RAM pack
though :-)
Oh for the good old days of writing machine code embedded in
BASIC REM statements....
"RANDOMIZE USR ..." ;-)

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.development_tools”