gvim question

bridged with qnx.development_tools

gvim question

Post by Bill Caroselli » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:15 pm

Using te graphical version of vim (gvim), does anyone know how to change
the font size?

I'm working on plain text files so I don't want to store font commands in
the text. My vision just isn't what it used to be and I want to use a
larger font.

Chris Herborth

Re: gvim question

Post by Chris Herborth » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:33 pm

Bill Caroselli wrote:
Using te graphical version of vim (gvim), does anyone know how to change
the font size?
My Google Fu results in:

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html#31.2

:-)
I'm working on plain text files so I don't want to store font commands in
the text. My vision just isn't what it used to be and I want to use a
larger font.
Or you could run the text only version in a bigger terminal window...

--
Chris Herborth (cherborth@qnx.com)
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.

Robert Rutherford

Re: gvim question

Post by Robert Rutherford » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:56 pm

On 1 Dec 2004 17:15:01 GMT, Bill Caroselli wrote:
Using te graphical version of vim (gvim), does anyone know how to change
the font size?

I'm working on plain text files so I don't want to store font commands in
the text. My vision just isn't what it used to be and I want to use a
larger font.
Edit/Select Font...

To make it permanent you need to do something like "set guifont=XXX" inside
your .gvimrc

Rob Rutherford

Bill Caroselli

Re: gvim question

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:58 pm

Robert Rutherford <mail@nospamplease.ruzz.com> wrote:
RR > On 1 Dec 2004 17:15:01 GMT, Bill Caroselli wrote:
Using te graphical version of vim (gvim), does anyone know how to change
the font size?

I'm working on plain text files so I don't want to store font commands in
the text. My vision just isn't what it used to be and I want to use a
larger font.
RR > Edit/Select Font...

RR > To make it permanent you need to do something like "set guifont=XXX" inside
RR > your .gvimrc

RR > Rob Rutherford

Hi Rob

I found this. And I know how to set things in .gvimrc.

However, when I select a font with the pop up dialog and then examine it
with ":set guifont", all it shows is "set guifont=*". If I try to put
that into the .gvimrc file, it not only doesn't bring up the pop up menu,
it fails to load at all.

I don't know how to format the string that needs to come after the
guifont=. And gvim isn't being very helpful.

But thanks for trying.

Maurizio Rossi

Re: gvim question

Post by Maurizio Rossi » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:12 pm

Hi Bill,

try "set guifont=monospace:s8"

Maurizio Rossi

"Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

Sean Boudreau

Re: gvim question

Post by Sean Boudreau » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:53 pm

or
set guifont=PC\ Sansserif:s16

-seanb

Maurizio Rossi <mrossi@system-group.it> wrote:
Hi Bill,

try "set guifont=monospace:s8"

Maurizio Rossi

Mario Charest

Re: gvim question

Post by Mario Charest » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:58 pm

"Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Robert Rutherford <mail@nospamplease.ruzz.com> wrote:
RR > On 1 Dec 2004 17:15:01 GMT, Bill Caroselli wrote:
Bill, just in case you didn't know. The source to workspace are available
so you could
make the fix you wanted to do.

I wanted to try backporting it to QNX4 but it's low in my priority list.

Bill Caroselli

Re: gvim question

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:58 pm

Maurizio Rossi <mrossi@system-group.it> wrote:
MR > Hi Bill,

MR > try "set guifont=monospace:s8"

MR > Maurizio Rossi

Thank you. I needed a bogger font than s8 but now I have the syntax.

Bill Caroselli

Re: gvim question

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:00 pm

Mario Charest <nowheretobefound@8thdimension.com> wrote:

MC > "Bill Caroselli" <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
MC > news:con72d$8kv$1@inn.qnx.com...
Robert Rutherford <mail@nospamplease.ruzz.com> wrote:
RR > On 1 Dec 2004 17:15:01 GMT, Bill Caroselli wrote:
MC > Bill, just in case you didn't know. The source to workspace are available
MC > so you could
MC > make the fix you wanted to do.

MC > I wanted to try backporting it to QNX4 but it's low in my priority list.

Yes, I have the source but I don't have the time.

One day, maybe.

Robert Krten

Re: gvim question

Post by Robert Krten » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:35 pm

Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
Maurizio Rossi <mrossi@system-group.it> wrote:
MR > Hi Bill,

MR > try "set guifont=monospace:s8"

MR > Maurizio Rossi
Thank you. I needed a bogger font than s8 but now I have the syntax.
"booger", not "bogger".

:-)

--
[If replying via email, you'll need to click on the URL that's emailed to you
afterwards to forward the email to me -- spam filters and all that]

Bill Caroselli

Re: gvim question

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:56 pm

Robert Krten <rk@parse.com> wrote:
RK > Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
Maurizio Rossi <mrossi@system-group.it> wrote:
MR > Hi Bill,

MR > try "set guifont=monospace:s8"

MR > Maurizio Rossi
Thank you. I needed a bogger font than s8 but now I have the syntax.
RK > "booger", not "bogger".

RK > :-)

<blush>
That's "bigger".
</blush>

Chris Herborth

Re: gvim question

Post by Chris Herborth » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:25 pm

Bill Caroselli wrote:
However, when I select a font with the pop up dialog and then examine it
with ":set guifont", all it shows is "set guifont=*". If I try to put
that into the .gvimrc file, it not only doesn't bring up the pop up menu,
it fails to load at all.
The FAQ says you query it with:

:set guifont?

--

Post by Bill Caroselli » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:00 pm

Chris Herborth <cherborth@qnx.com> wrote:
CH > Bill Caroselli wrote:
However, when I select a font with the pop up dialog and then examine it
with ":set guifont", all it shows is "set guifont=*". If I try to put
that into the .gvimrc file, it not only doesn't bring up the pop up menu,
it fails to load at all.
CH > The FAQ says you query it with:

CH > :set guifont?

Right, but it doesn't show you how to format the font name string.
And, if you use te pop up menu, all :set guifont shows is:
:set guifont=*

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.development_tools”