Advantech computer for QNX6.3

bridged with qnx.rtos
Post Reply
vmscotti

Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by vmscotti » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi guys,

I am a begginer with QNX and I would appreciate your support in this
phase. We need to purchase a Industrial PC for our application.
Looking for it at the internet and restricting our search for those
manufacturers which have dealers here in Brazil, we choose Advantech
as a potential supplier.

The application engineer from Advantech have mentioned they have some
industrial PCs already certified for using with QNX6.0, but we intend
to use QNX6.3 in our application.

Based on your knowledge and practice experience, do you know whether
we will face some incompatibility problems with the hardware
(drivers) due to different QNX versions (6.0 x 6.3).

Thanks in advance.

Vanderlei

maschoen

RE: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by maschoen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:52 pm

That would be very unlikely, although nothing is impossible. I've
never heard of QNX depricating, or stopping support for an older
driver in a newer version of the OS. The reason is simple. When
the OS gets upgraded, the worst that can happen is that the driver
structure changes somewhat, not the hardware code. Usually these
are kept somewhat separate anyway, but even if they weren't,
programmers would have to fix most of the existing drivers, so why
not all of them?

Igor Kovalenko

Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:03 pm

*Cough cough* ... SB Live! ... *Cough cough cough*

"maschoen" <maschoen@pobox-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
That would be very unlikely, although nothing is impossible. I've
never heard of QNX depricating, or stopping support for an older
driver in a newer version of the OS. The reason is simple. When
the OS gets upgraded, the worst that can happen is that the driver
structure changes somewhat, not the hardware code. Usually these
are kept somewhat separate anyway, but even if they weren't,
programmers would have to fix most of the existing drivers, so why
not all of them?

Colin Burgess

Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by Colin Burgess » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Hey Mitch - you've just been IGORED! :-D

<Dodges it... ;->

--
cburgess@qnx.com

maschoen

RE: Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by maschoen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 pm

Rotgl

vmscotti

RE: Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by vmscotti » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks Mitch. Now I found that computer from Advantech already
certified to run a QNX6 RTOS has IDE ATA interface, and as long as I
know, QNX does not support ATA devices yet. Any recommendation?

vmscotti

RE: Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by vmscotti » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Guys, forget my last message: the computer has IDE ATA and also SATA
II interface, thus everything should work fine once I will not use
SATA bus.

Ps.: I made a mistake, QNX does not support SATA :D

qnxloader

Re: RE: Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by qnxloader » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:00 pm

vmscottiwrote:

Ps.: I made a mistake, QNX does not support SATA :D
6.3.0 sp3 - 6.3.2 support SATA.

vmscotti

RE: Re: RE: Re: Advantech computer for QNX6.3

Post by vmscotti » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:00 pm

Good to know. This QNX versions supports only SATA, or SATA II too?

Armin

Post by Armin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:36 pm

qnxloader wrote:
vmscottiwrote:

Ps.: I made a mistake, QNX does not support SATA :D
6.3.0 sp3 - 6.3.2 support SATA.

Yes ... after looking into the 'hardware database' chip sets from
Acer, Intel, Via and Marvell are supported with SP3.
No statements about SATA II .... but SATA II drivers are back compatible
to SATA motherboards.

--Armin

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.rtos”