Slow boot from 512MB Compact Flash

bridged with qnx.rtos
Post Reply
Rodney Stevens

Slow boot from 512MB Compact Flash

Post by Rodney Stevens » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:49 am

Dear All

I am booting qnxrtp 6.3.0 SP2 from a 512Mb SanDisk Compact Falsh Card and it
takes about 180 seconds to find /bin

devb-eide blk automount=hd0t77:/ &
waitfor /bin 180

Anything less and it fails to boot.

Any ideas on a speed up method.

This is with a standard Compact Flash there is an Ultra II version that is
supposed to be faster I will try this, but would like to try and improove
the Standard one.

Once it is booted the access time appears to be ok, but I have not done any
testing.

Any ideas

Thanks

Rod Stevens
CSIRO Minerals Aust.

inn.qnx.com

Re: Slow boot from 512MB Compact Flash

Post by inn.qnx.com » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:05 am

I would add a similar experience to this posting. I attempted to
configure a Sandisk 128Mb CF card on my laptop using the PCMCIA adaptor.
The card was recognised by the 'pin' command, so I attempted to mount it
using the command:

devb-eide eide ioport=300:30c,irq=5,noslave

It then took about 10 secs for the CF ident to appear in the terminal
and /dev/hd1 to be mounted. After that all disk operations were
excruciatingly slow.

I then switched the laptop over to QNX 6.2.1B and it all worked perfectly.

Jim Douglas

Rodney Stevens wrote:
Dear All

I am booting qnxrtp 6.3.0 SP2 from a 512Mb SanDisk Compact Falsh Card and it
takes about 180 seconds to find /bin

devb-eide blk automount=hd0t77:/ &
waitfor /bin 180

Anything less and it fails to boot.

Any ideas on a speed up method.

This is with a standard Compact Flash there is an Ultra II version that is
supposed to be faster I will try this, but would like to try and improove
the Standard one.

Once it is booted the access time appears to be ok, but I have not done any
testing.

Any ideas

Thanks

Rod Stevens
CSIRO Minerals Aust.

Joe Mammone

Re: Slow boot from 512MB Compact Flash

Post by Joe Mammone » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:20 pm

Sounds like an irq problem....try starting devp-pccard with the
following options: devp-pccard -l5 ss -m

-Joe

Rodney Stevens wrote:

Dear All

I am booting qnxrtp 6.3.0 SP2 from a 512Mb SanDisk Compact Falsh Card
and it
takes about 180 seconds to find /bin

devb-eide blk automount=hd0t77:/ &
waitfor /bin 180

Anything less and it fails to boot.

Any ideas on a speed up method.

This is with a standard Compact Flash there is an Ultra II version
that is
supposed to be faster I will try this, but would like to try and improove
the Standard one.

Once it is booted the access time appears to be ok, but I have not
done any
testing.

Any ideas

Thanks

Rod Stevens
CSIRO Minerals Aust.

Mark Dornbush

Re: Slow boot from 512MB Compact Flash

Post by Mark Dornbush » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:06 pm

Can you post your boot image? I've successfully installed / booted from a
SanDisk 128 Meg standard compact flash card with out the delays. I'm using
QNX 6.30 no SPs.

"Rodney Stevens" <rod.stevens@csiro.au> wrote in message
[...]

Post by Jim Douglas » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks Joe,

That seems to fix it. Can you explain why?

Jim

Rodney Stevens wrote:

[...]

Post by Rodney Stevens » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:24 am

Thanks all for your suggestions.

The solution for this Axiomtek SBC83675 was to turn off the second IDE
controller, it then booted in about 15 seconds.

I did not have the same delay with a Diskocchip or a single hard disk with
the second controller enabled.

Hope this helps someone in the future

Rod

[...]

gareth_00

re:Slow boot from 512MB Compact Flash

Post by gareth_00 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 pm

Sorry, how can I turn off the second ide controller? Because I have
the same problem with my flash memory.
Thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “qnx.rtos”