Post Reply
gerg

boot error

Post by gerg » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:11 pm

QNX loader
boot Partition 1
missing operation system

any ideas anyone?

Bill Caroselli

Re: boot error

Post by Bill Caroselli » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:16 pm

gerg <gerg@nome.com> wrote:
g > QNX loader
g > boot Partition 1
g > missing operation system

g > any ideas anyone?

In a nutshell it means that it went to where the partition map claimed
the OS started, and it wasn't there. Assuming that you actually did
write out an operationg system, then . . .

I think I've seen this when there was a geometery mismatch between when
the partition map on the drive was created and now.

This can happen in one of several ways. Sometimes a drive was
initialized with a driver that doesn't recognize the physical geometery
of a new drive.

If my guess is correct, there are two ways to fix it.
1. Determine what the driver thought the physical geometery was at the
time the the partition table was created with fdisk, then load the new
driver with that exact same physical geometery.
2. Completely erase the partition map on the drive and start over by
fdisk'ing it again with a driver loaded with the correct geometery.

I know that this sounds drastic. Hopefully, someone else knows another
an easier explanation for "Missing Operation System".

Bill Caroselli

Re: boot error

Post by Bill Caroselli » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:26 pm

Bill Caroselli <qtps@earthlink.net> wrote:
BC > gerg <gerg@nome.com> wrote:
BC > g > QNX loader
BC > g > boot Partition 1
BC > g > missing operation system

BC > g > any ideas anyone?

BC > In a nutshell it means that it went to where the partition map claimed
BC > the OS started, and it wasn't there. Assuming that you actually did
BC > write out an operationg system, then . . .

BC > I think I've seen this when there was a geometery mismatch between when
BC > the partition map on the drive was created and now.

BC > This can happen in one of several ways. Sometimes a drive was
BC > initialized with a driver that doesn't recognize the physical geometery
BC > of a new drive.

BC > If my guess is correct, there are two ways to fix it.
BC > 1. Determine what the driver thought the physical geometery was at the
BC > time the the partition table was created with fdisk, then load the new
BC > driver with that exact same physical geometery.
BC > 2. Completely erase the partition map on the drive and start over by
BC > fdisk'ing it again with a driver loaded with the correct geometery.

BC > I know that this sounds drastic. Hopefully, someone else knows another
BC > an easier explanation for "Missing Operation System".

I only just now noticed that this is posted in the QNX2 conference, but
I think the whole discussion still applies.

Padraig Furlong

Re: boot error

Post by Padraig Furlong » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:18 pm

"gerg" <gerg@nome.com> wrote in message news:btbmar$pmu$1@inn.qnx.com...
QNX loader
boot Partition 1
missing operation system

any ideas anyone?

It also happened to me - I recovered by booting from an alternate node. I
discovered that on faster pentiums to get qnx2 to boot I did the following

boot c=3:/netboot/os.2.... d=/drivers/disk... +q -p
followed by
boot c=3:/netboot/os.2.... d=/drivers/disk...

I have no explanation other than it worked. Also ensure that the
d=/drivers/disk.... is the same driver that was used to mount the hard disk

I have qnx2 running from 40Gb hard disks. I used only the first 500Mb -
In the bios I use Cylinders 1023, Heads 16, Sectors 63 and Mode NORMAL.

These settings have been used by us successfully once hard disks with a
capacity > 500Mb became standard.

Hope this helps

Padraig Furlong

ms

Re: boot error

Post by ms » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:21 pm

gerg wrote:
QNX loader
boot Partition 1
missing operation system

any ideas anyone?
If it had been working correctly, check that the drive parameters in the
CMOS setup are correct.
In our systems, sometimes the customer will change the hard disk drive to
auto detect and then they will get this message and call us and we have to
tell them to reset the drive parameters. This parameter change can also
happens if the CMOS battery dies.
ms...

gerg

Re: boot error

Post by gerg » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:38 am

That is what happen. Not sure how though. The battery is ok. Maybe being
an old machine it's telling me to look for a replacement.

"ms" <mike.schneider@NoSpam.heidelberg.com> wrote in message
gerg wrote:

QNX loader
boot Partition 1
missing operation system

any ideas anyone?

If it had been working correctly, check that the drive parameters in the
CMOS setup are correct.
In our systems, sometimes the customer will change the hard disk drive to
auto detect and then they will get this message and call us and we have to
tell them to reset the drive parameters. This parameter change can also
happens if the CMOS battery dies.
ms...

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnx2”