Creating projects composed of multiple processes

bridged with qdn.public.devtools
Post Reply
Steve Postma

Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by Steve Postma » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Hi,

Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final image
but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of many
processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
workspace.

Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?

Thanks

Steve Postma

David Gibbs

Re: Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by David Gibbs » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:56 am

Steve Postma <spostma@silentwitness.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final image
but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of many
processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
workspace.

Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?
If you don't use a QNX C/C++ project, but instead write your own
Makefiles that build this way, and use a Standard Make Project
you can do this.

I don't know of any way of doing this using the QNX C/C++ project and make
structure.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Alex Chapiro

Re: Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by Alex Chapiro » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:32 pm

Just keep in mind that any launch/debug configuration is able to
launch/debug exactly one process. From this point of view I don't see a
big difference between the model you are looking for and the case when
you consider your workspace as one big project (you are still able to
build this big project in a "one click"), but launch/debug any single
process separately.

Post by Bill Caroselli » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:02 pm

Steve Postma <spostma@silentwitness.com> wrote:
SP > Hi,

SP > Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
SP > that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
SP > project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final image
SP > but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
SP > managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of many
SP > processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
SP > workspace.

SP > Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?

Especially when you have library code that is used by many "projects".

Alex Chapiro

Re: Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by Alex Chapiro » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:54 pm

It doesn't lead to any special requirement about workspace structure.
You still can have this library as a separate project and make a
references from all other projects in this workspace to it which
garantees that in case of workspace build IDE builds this library before
the projects that depend on it (for QNX projects when you add library
to any project, IDE automatically creates reference to the library
project and add to the library search path directory where this library
is located).

Bill Caroselli wrote:
Steve Postma <spostma@silentwitness.com> wrote:
SP > Hi,

SP > Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
SP > that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
SP > project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final image
SP > but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
SP > managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of many
SP > processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
SP > workspace.

SP > Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?

Especially when you have library code that is used by many "projects".

Lisa Scanlan

Re: Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by Lisa Scanlan » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:01 pm

We are currently using a single workspace in the QNX IDE to build multiple
processes. The workspace has several "projects." Some of these are static
or shared libraries, and some of them are applications (one for each
process). We also have a common include directory that is its own "project"
that doesn't get built (but the other projects reference it).

This works fairly well. The biggest complaint I have is that when you
change a header file in a project that other projects reference, there is no
built-in mechanism for causing all the the other projects that use that
header file to be re-built. So we end up doing more Rebuild All's than we
would like. I realize we could write our own makefiles and solve this
problem, but at least for now, we are using the tool straight out of the
box.

Lisa Scanlan

"Steve Postma" <spostma@silentwitness.com> wrote in message
Hi,

Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final image
but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of many
processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
workspace.

Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?

Thanks

Steve Postma

Alex Chapiro

Re: Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by Alex Chapiro » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:53 pm

Dependency checking has been implemented for Momentics 6.3.0

Hi,

Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final image
but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of many
processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
workspace.

Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?

Thanks

Steve Postma

Lisa Scanlan

Re: Creating projects composed of multiple processes

Post by Lisa Scanlan » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:41 pm

Cool.

Hi,

Is it possible using the Momentics IDE to create a project and then have
that project contain multiple processes? We can create one process per
project and then use a build file to combine them all into the final
image
but it just seems messy, especially once we get to the point where we're
managing several projects and each of those projects is comprised of
many
processes. It looks like they will all be thrown together into the same
workspace.

Does anybody know of a clean way to do this?

Thanks

Steve Postma

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.devtools”