Memory panel in Momentics IDE

bridged with qdn.public.devtools
Post Reply
Dave G.

Memory panel in Momentics IDE

Post by Dave G. » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:47 pm

It appears to me there is an endian problem with formatting the display of
the memory panel in the Momentics IDE debugger perspective. I wanted to
display a memory region with a Memory Unit Size of 4 bytes. If I look at
the memory location thru the Variables window I get what I expect. When I
look at the memory location in the Memory window I get the value displayed
in reverse byte order. I would expect to see the same values in those two
cases.

I am running on a PC x86 target using the IDE on a Win32 platform doing
remote debugging. I am using verison 6.2.1 of Momentics PE.

Dave G.

David Gibbs

Re: Memory panel in Momentics IDE

Post by David Gibbs » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:05 am

Dave G. <~~~dkg@ormec.com> wrote:
It appears to me there is an endian problem with formatting the display of
the memory panel in the Momentics IDE debugger perspective. I wanted to
display a memory region with a Memory Unit Size of 4 bytes. If I look at
the memory location thru the Variables window I get what I expect. When I
look at the memory location in the Memory window I get the value displayed
in reverse byte order. I would expect to see the same values in those two
cases.
In the variable window, we have a type associated with
an area of memory -- therefor, we can display the value appropriately.

In the memory area, there is no endian-ness information. That area
of memory might be a string (better not swap), a short, a long, or
something else, we don't/can't know.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Dave G.

Re: Memory panel in Momentics IDE

Post by Dave G. » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:02 pm

I thought of that but then I ask: Why bother having a way to specify Memory
Unit Size? To me that would provide a hint the user wanted to see the
values in the native format of the processor for that size of data.

In any case, in the Variable window, is there a way to specify I want to see
the next 40 values of a type at a location specified by a pointer variable?
Example: I have this definition: long *foo; Now I want to see 40 long
values at the location pointed to by foo.

Thanx,
Dave G.

Post by David Gibbs » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:28 pm

Dave G. <~~~dkg@ormec.com> wrote:
I thought of that but then I ask: Why bother having a way to specify Memory
Unit Size? To me that would provide a hint the user wanted to see the
values in the native format of the processor for that size of data.
Hm... I thought of it as just a convenient grouping... but that could
make sense too. Maybe a toggle button to endian switch the data based
on the view size might be an idea.
In any case, in the Variable window, is there a way to specify I want to see
the next 40 values of a type at a location specified by a pointer variable?
Example: I have this definition: long *foo; Now I want to see 40 long
values at the location pointed to by foo.
I don't know of one, but that would be handy.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.devtools”