Post Reply
GL

getting start with

Post by GL » Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:08 pm

Hi, everybody. I'm a newcomer in QNX world and just making its evaluation
for posssibble developing certain projects.
As I see, Eclipse IDE is available only with QNX PE.
Could somebody, please, give me direction where I can find some editor to
type and compile my test modules?

Thank you,

GL

Robert Rutherford

Re: getting start with

Post by Robert Rutherford » Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:11 am

For simple/small programs you can always just use 'ped' as a basic text
editor and 'make' to build your programs.

On the third party CD (downloadable from
http://www.qnx.com/developer/download/contrib/ ) you will find several other
options.

We use 'vim' which provides colour syntax highlighting, variable-name
completion, compiler support and class navigation via 'ctags'. Try gvim if
you prefer menus to keystrokes. Warning: If you are not familiar with vim
you will need to spend some time with the documentation before you can use
it productively.

Other options on the 3rd party disk include 'workspace' (which is a
promising graphical IDE but still incomplete), emacs and nedit. workspace is
not bad for a beginner.

For building graphical (Photon) applications you should use PhAB (the
graphical builder) which you can start from the Launch/Development menu.

Hope this helps.

Rob Rutherford

"GL" <george@datagistics.com> wrote in message
Hi, everybody. I'm a newcomer in QNX world and just making its evaluation
for posssibble developing certain projects.
As I see, Eclipse IDE is available only with QNX PE.
Could somebody, please, give me direction where I can find some editor to
type and compile my test modules?

Thank you,

GL

GL

Re: getting start with

Post by GL » Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:06 pm

Thank you, Robert.

George

James Ingraham

Re: getting start with

Post by James Ingraham » Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:56 pm

If you're feeling brave, you can check out SWediT (swedit.sourceforge.net) a
Java/SWT based text editor that runs in QNX.

-James Ingraham

Wojciech Piechowski

Re: getting start with

Post by Wojciech Piechowski » Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:41 am

Hello!

I like RHIDE very much. It's free, you can get its QNX port from http://mike.qnx.org.ru/rhide/. The page is in Russian and you probably will not find out much from it :) but it is enough to download
ftp://ftp.qnx.org.ru/pub/projects/rhide ... eta.tar.gz
and unpack it to /.

--
Wojciech Piechowski
RADMOR S.A.