Swap usage and memory

bridged with qdn.public.installation
Post Reply
Mark Round

Swap usage and memory

Post by Mark Round » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:25 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to run QNX 6.2.1 on a relatively old laptop. It only has
64Mb in, and RAM usage is almost 100% in Photon - many applications etc.
won't even load due to this limitation. From reading the docs, I see
that swapping is not used under QNX, and the only purpose of the
swapfile is for GCC.

I am planning on upping the RAM in the laptop to the maximum of 144Mb -
would this be sufficient for general usage and the occasional compile
with GCC ? Just looking for people's general experiences, opinions etc....

Thanks in advance for any information!

-Mark

Mario Charest

Re: Swap usage and memory

Post by Mario Charest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:46 pm

"Mark Round" <mark@markround.com> wrote in message
Hi All,

I am trying to run QNX 6.2.1 on a relatively old laptop. It only has
64Mb in, and RAM usage is almost 100% in Photon - many applications etc.
won't even load due to this limitation. From reading the docs, I see
that swapping is not used under QNX, and the only purpose of the
swapfile is for GCC.

I am planning on upping the RAM in the laptop to the maximum of 144Mb -
would this be sufficient for general usage and the occasional compile
with GCC ?
Occasional compile yes, but forget using the eclipse IDE, which requires
at least 80M just to start.

Thanks in advance for any information!

-Mark

Guest

Re: Swap usage and memory

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:45 pm

mark@markround.com sed in <bm1cu9$mnt$1@inn.qnx.com>:
I am trying to run QNX 6.2.1 on a relatively old laptop. It only has
64Mb in, and RAM usage is almost 100% in Photon - many applications etc.
won't even load due to this limitation. From reading the docs, I see
My laptop (MMX 166MHz, 48MB RAM) is going well with Photon+GCC.
(But haven't tested memory hogs like Mozilla)

With 64MB, it should be sufficient for normal usage.
If still short in memory, check if QNX really is recognizing full 64MB.
("pidin info")
100% usage by Photon alone is about 32MB, in my experience.
--
kabe

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.installation”