Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

bridged with qdn.cafe
Robert Krten

Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by Robert Krten » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:30 pm

Just a reminder that the final Ottawa QNX Users Group meeting will
take place tomorrow, Thursday May the 1st, at 6pm at Colonnade
Pizza on Hazeldean Road.

Directions etc are available at:

http://www.parse.com/oqug/

Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Books, Video-based and Instructor-led

liug

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by liug » Thu May 01, 2003 4:18 am

Robert Krten <rk@parse.com> wrote:
Just a reminder that the final Ottawa QNX Users Group meeting will
final?

Robert Krten

Post by Robert Krten » Thu May 01, 2003 12:03 pm

liug <liug@mama.indstate.edu> wrote:
Robert Krten <rk@parse.com> wrote:
Just a reminder that the final Ottawa QNX Users Group meeting will

final?
Final. The community has changed, QSSL has changed; the little guy is dead. :-/

I will probably start an "Ottawa Antique Computer Collectors Group" at some
point -- any takers?

Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Books, Video-based and Instructor-led
Training, Consulting and Software Products at www.parse.com.

Kevin Stallard

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by Kevin Stallard » Thu May 01, 2003 1:02 pm

Hey Robert,

I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but how can the 'little guy' be dead? We
get lots of support from QSSL on an individual basis. Look at the patience
their employees show when answering my dumb questions on this newsgroup.
Can you elaborate?

Kevin

Post by Robert Krten » Thu May 01, 2003 1:08 pm

Kevin Stallard <kevin@ffflyingrobots.com> wrote:
Hey Robert,

I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but how can the 'little guy' be dead? We
get lots of support from QSSL on an individual basis. Look at the patience
their employees show when answering my dumb questions on this newsgroup.
Can you elaborate?
I'd almost rather not :-) However, since you asked nicely :-)

Yes, support has been great from a technical point of view. I have absolutely
no complaints in that department. Where I see the shift is from the QNX 2
and QNX 4 days of small companies being able to cooperatively market things
with QSSL (e.g., QNX News, Third Party handbook, the Conferences), versus
the current environment where trying to do any cooperative marketing is
almost impossible.

Remember the good old days, when you'd publish a piece of code and "the
community" would adopt it, give you feedback, send in patches, promote it,
etc? I've run the "free" section on my website and have noticed just about
zero feedback -- so either the software must be flawless :-) or no-one is
using it, or ... ? I'm leaning towards the middle one, where no-one is
using it. Or training videos -- hard to sell those to the "big
companies" who would rather go with the complete solution for training from
QSSL, rather than look/research for other solutions from the "little guy".

Don't take my comments as "uh oh, RK is getting bitter" -- it's not
intended that way. All that's happening is that I'm looking at what the
impact of current environment is on my product offerings. I will survive
one way or another :-)

And Kevin, I really don't mind talking about this -- just don't want to
start a flame war :-) Ask away!

Post by Robert Krten » Thu May 01, 2003 1:31 pm

Kevin Stallard <kevin@ffflyingrobots.com> wrote:
And Kevin, I really don't mind talking about this -- just don't want to
start a flame war :-) Ask away!

Me either, I was just a little surprised, that's all.. But I understand
what you are saying now. I think you're stuff is valuable. I can't afford
QSSL's training, but I can afford your books. I hope I'm not the only
one....
Thanks!

BTW, what would be your price point for training videos (video on demand
on CD-ROM)?

Cheers,
-RK
Kevin

[...]

Not neccessary. In my experience 'using' and 'giving useful feedback' are
not really tied together. Majority of 'users' haven't got a clue. I did get
some feedback for the spin, but percentage of people who made useful
suggestions, let alone code contribution is negligibly small compared to
number of people who use it. With ESS audio drivers it was even funnier.
Nobody contributed anything, but I have got few requests from Linux folks
for my patches, since original ALSA code was broken and they never bothered
to integrate the patch I sent them ;)
Well, let me just state for the record, "Thanks for the ESS Audio Driver, Igor".
I use it successfully on my portable! :-)
Your sentiment is not really about QNX per say. It is just general state of
the affairs in the computer industry. Some 10 years ago PC was still quite a
freak's gadget. If people had it, they had it for a reason usually beyond
listening to MP3 and surfing web. They were researching and experimenting.
Possibilities were endless ;)
And look at it now, it is a bloody comsumer electronics item practically.
The software and capabilities have evolved so much that it is simply not
interesting for most people (even programmers) anymore to tinker with little
itty bitty programs. Waste of time...
Yeah, that's correct (unfortunately). Which is why I am going "retro"
and collecting old ones. Much more fun to play with a computer that's
heavier than you are :-)
So indeed, only bogger players are still doing something. And yes, they
prefer to deal with other bigger players. It is natural course of the
things.
Yup; nature of the biz. That's why I said (in another posting in this
thread) not to take it as me being discouraged, just coming to the realization
that "things have changed" (and the little guy is dead :-)).
Or training videos -- hard to sell those to the "big
companies" who would rather go with the complete solution for training
from
QSSL, rather than look/research for other solutions from the "little guy".

Personally, I would not buy training videos. They are only good for plain &
simple stuff, that does not require much of thinking/digesting (i.e., when
the only problem is conveying the information). If I were to spend money on
learning, I'd rather have someone to talk to. Good learning IMHO only
happens when things get discussed. I think the discussion is more important
than the handouts or notes or whatever way is used to present the
information.
The people who have bought the training videos have been *very* happy with
them -- it's a personal "learning style" type of thing, of course.

Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Books, Video-based and Instructor-led
Training, Consulting and Software Products at www.parse.com.

Igor Kovalenko

[...]

-- igor

John Halpenny

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by John Halpenny » Thu May 01, 2003 5:38 pm

Is QNX going where most of the industry has already gone? The 'big'
products with big markets have big production teams and don't want any
help. So many products are out there that there is little opportunity to
do better, especially if you are only better at one little part. QNX 6
is probably the last best place to produce stuff people need, but QNX
Ltd. is making more and more of the good stuff, and there seems to be
little money, or even user feedback, in what is left.

[...]

Natural Resources Canada Ressources Naturelles Canada
Geodetic Survey Division Division des levés géodésiques
615 Booth St., Room 498H 615 rue Booth, Pièce 498H
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K1A-0E9
Phone: (613) 996-9321

Brown, Richard

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by Brown, Richard » Fri May 02, 2003 11:07 am

I have to drive roughly 1.5 Hrs to and from work everyday. If software
techinical training could be provided in any meaningful-way on audio CD then
I think we might have something. Of course the CD would also have to be
accompanied by written traning material.

[...]

Miguel Simon

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by Miguel Simon » Sat May 03, 2003 5:57 am

Hi RK...

Robert Krten wrote:
<...>
etc? I've run the "free" section on my website and have noticed just about
zero feedback -- so either the software must be flawless :-) or no-one is
using it, or ... ? I'm leaning towards the middle one, where no-one is
using it. Or training videos -- hard to sell those to the "big
Hummm...

- At least for some of us, your books (4.2x and neutrino) -encompasses-
some chapters of the 'QNX bible', and can't wait to get your new book...
- many of your example code are the example basis and starting point for
many of our projects at the university...
- perhaps people do not say it enough, but your help and comments help
tremendously...
companies" who would rather go with the complete solution for training from
QSSL, rather than look/research for other solutions from the "little guy".
- but also remember that even 'big' companies are going through
difficult times...
Don't take my comments as "uh oh, RK is getting bitter" -- it's not
intended that way. All that's happening is that I'm looking at what the
impact of current environment is on my product offerings. I will survive
one way or another :-)
- write books, people will buy them! Your knowledge is tremendous, and
we appreciate it.

Regards...

Miguel.

liug <liug@mama.indstate.edu> wrote:

Robert Krten <rk@parse.com> wrote:

Just a reminder that the final Ottawa QNX Users Group meeting will

final?

Final. The community has changed, QSSL has changed; the little guy is

dead. :-/

I will probably start an "Ottawa Antique Computer Collectors Group" at

some

point -- any takers?

Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Books, Video-based and Instructor-led
Training, Consulting and Software Products at www.parse.com.

Miguel Simon

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by Miguel Simon » Sat May 03, 2003 6:08 am

Hi RK...

Robert Krten wrote:
<...>
Thanks!

BTW, what would be your price point for training videos (video on demand
on CD-ROM)?
You'll be surprise, but if you put those examples that you have created
in a CD, people will buy it even if the examples are freely available in
your web page. Also, you may want to create another book explaining in
detail what the examples do, and why, etc. Then include the CD in the
book. Sell two versions: one with no CD for US$39.99, and the other
-same book- with a CD for 49.99. And yes, even if your other books say
the same thing, people with different tastes will buy different versions
of your books. I have seen individuals with five different copies of
Linux books, and all those books say the same thing over and over. You
may want to create more avenues for your knowledge to get rewarded, that
is all.

....and also, every time that QSSL comes with a new version of the OS,
you release a new version of your books. I see this all the time in
Barnes & Noble.

Regards...

Miguel.

Cheers,
-RK

Robert Krten

Re: Final OQUG meeting Thursday May 1st

Post by Robert Krten » Sat May 03, 2003 5:28 pm

Miguel Simon <simon@ou.edu> wrote:
Hi RK...

Robert Krten wrote:

Thanks!

BTW, what would be your price point for training videos (video on demand
on CD-ROM)?
Hi Miguel,
You'll be surprise, but if you put those examples that you have created
in a CD, people will buy it even if the examples are freely available in
your web page. Also, you may want to create another book explaining in
I'm currently including the CD with the vast majority of books sold.
It even has a sample VoD training chapter in it.
detail what the examples do, and why, etc. Then include the CD in the
book. Sell two versions: one with no CD for US$39.99, and the other
-same book- with a CD for 49.99. And yes, even if your other books say
.... umm... have you looked at the list price for the books lately? :-)
the same thing, people with different tastes will buy different versions
of your books. I have seen individuals with five different copies of
Linux books, and all those books say the same thing over and over. You
may want to create more avenues for your knowledge to get rewarded, that
is all.
I'm kinda shy about saying the same thing over and over again... :-)
...and also, every time that QSSL comes with a new version of the OS,
you release a new version of your books. I see this all the time in
Barnes & Noble.
That's a major problem for me -- in order to get a good price on the
printing of the books, I need to commit to a large number of them.
It takes a while to chew through all that inventory. I'd certainly
hate to have to recycle the "old" versions just because QSSL added
a new library with 6 function calls... :-)

Cheers,
-RK

--

Robert Krten wrote:
[...]

While this thread was certainly not a solicitation for "say nice things
about RK", I do appreciate it :-)

Well, one more book to go, anyway...

Cheers,
-RK

[...]