io-net fault reporting

bridged with qdn.public.ddk.network
Post Reply
Geoff Roberts

io-net fault reporting

Post by Geoff Roberts » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:58 am

Within the io-net framework, how could a shared object, say a convertor
or down producer, be notified by the driver (up producer) of a fault
such as a disconnected cable? Would this be something that would be
driver specific (ie, not guaranteed to work in all cases) or would the
objects be required to poll the nicinfo periodically via a devctl()
call? I'm not sure if I'd like the latter possibility in the QNX
environment... so I hope there's an [sig]event driven alternative.

Thanks,

Geoff Roberts

Geoff Roberts

Re: io-net fault reporting

Post by Geoff Roberts » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:17 am

Ping.

Please confirm one way or the other my suspicion that the only way to
determine that a cable might be disconnected is to poll for this
information periodically by way of a devctl() call to io-net?

Thanks,

Geoff Roberts

Geoff Roberts wrote:
Within the io-net framework, how could a shared object, say a convertor
or down producer, be notified by the driver (up producer) of a fault
such as a disconnected cable? Would this be something that would be
driver specific (ie, not guaranteed to work in all cases) or would the
objects be required to poll the nicinfo periodically via a devctl()
call? I'm not sure if I'd like the latter possibility in the QNX
environment... so I hope there's an [sig]event driven alternative.

Thanks,

Geoff Roberts

Hugh Brown

Re: io-net fault reporting

Post by Hugh Brown » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:18 pm

Yes, that is correct.

Geoff Roberts wrote:

Within the io-net framework, how could a shared object, say a convertor
or down producer, be notified by the driver (up producer) of a fault
such as a disconnected cable? Would this be something that would be
driver specific (ie, not guaranteed to work in all cases) or would the
objects be required to poll the nicinfo periodically via a devctl()
call? I'm not sure if I'd like the latter possibility in the QNX
environment... so I hope there's an [sig]event driven alternative.

Thanks,

Geoff Roberts

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.ddk.network”