pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

bridged with qdn.public.ddk.network
Post Reply
Ben Gardner

pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

Post by Ben Gardner » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:20 am

We've got a custom PC that uses an AMD PCNet chip.

Under QNX 6.1.0a, the network interface work fine under heavy loads.
Under QNX 6.2.1, the network quits working after a few minutes under the
same load.

In the release notes for QNX 6.2.0, it says this crashing is a known
issue. The problem was not mentioned in the 6.2.1 release notes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with version 6.2.1?
Is there a fix in the works?
It's a little late to pick a new ethernet chip.

Thanks,
Ben

Hugh Brown

Re: pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

Post by Hugh Brown » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:02 pm

What is the output from nicinfo when it stops working. Does either the
Tx or Rx count still continue to increment? The output from 'pci -v'
would also help.

Previously, Ben Gardner wrote in qdn.public.ddk.network:
We've got a custom PC that uses an AMD PCNet chip.

Under QNX 6.1.0a, the network interface work fine under heavy loads.
Under QNX 6.2.1, the network quits working after a few minutes under the
same load.

In the release notes for QNX 6.2.0, it says this crashing is a known
issue. The problem was not mentioned in the 6.2.1 release notes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with version 6.2.1?
Is there a fix in the works?
It's a little late to pick a new ethernet chip.

Thanks,
Ben

David Donohoe

Post by David Donohoe » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:35 pm

Ben Gardner <bgardner@spam.wabtec.com> wrote:
We've got a custom PC that uses an AMD PCNet chip.

Under QNX 6.1.0a, the network interface work fine under heavy loads.
Under QNX 6.2.1, the network quits working after a few minutes under the
same load.

In the release notes for QNX 6.2.0, it says this crashing is a known
issue. The problem was not mentioned in the 6.2.1 release notes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with version 6.2.1?
Is there a fix in the works?
It's a little late to pick a new ethernet chip.
The 6.2.1 pcnet driver has a bug whereby it doesn't work at 100Mbps.
(It could potentially fail at 10 also, but less likely).

This has been fixed in patch B.

Dave

Ben Gardner

Re: pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

Post by Ben Gardner » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:59 am

Any idea when patch B will be available?
I have 6.2.1 PE, but I haven't seen any patches in the 'product updates'
area...

Thanks,
Ben

David Donohoe wrote:
The 6.2.1 pcnet driver has a bug whereby it doesn't work at 100Mbps.
(It could potentially fail at 10 also, but less likely).

This has been fixed in patch B.

Dave

Poseidon

Re: pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

Post by Poseidon » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:11 pm

Is this related to the same buffer underflow problem that was in the ppc
PCNet driver at 6.1.0? The last time I had to deal with this chip, burst
transfers were turned off on the PCI interface of the chip and the transmit
was allowed to fall behind, causing the chip to stop reading the Tx
descriptors and stall the ethernet.
Is the PCNet driver source available? I seem to remember the network-ddk
had the PCNet driver as example code.

Paul

David Donohoe wrote:
The 6.2.1 pcnet driver has a bug whereby it doesn't work at 100Mbps.
(It could potentially fail at 10 also, but less likely).

This has been fixed in patch B.

Dave

OS Support

Re: pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

Post by OS Support » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:57 am

Patch B is available for download through myQNX.

Regards,
Barry F.

David Donohoe wrote:
The 6.2.1 pcnet driver has a bug whereby it doesn't work at 100Mbps.
(It could potentially fail at 10 also, but less likely).

This has been fixed in patch B.

Dave

Ben Gardner

Re: pcnet driver problem in QNX 6.2.1

Post by Ben Gardner » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:23 am

Thanks. I found it in the Beta section.

David Donohoe wrote:

The 6.2.1 pcnet driver has a bug whereby it doesn't work at 100Mbps.
(It could potentially fail at 10 also, but less likely).

This has been fixed in patch B.

Dave

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.ddk.network”