QNX Source: Migrating Linux to QNX

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy
Igor Kovalenko

Re: QNX Source: Migrating Linux to QNX

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:59 am

-- email received from QNX ---

----- Original Message -----
From: "QNX Software Systems" <mailings@qnx.com>
To: "Igor Kovalenko" <Igor.Kovalenko@motorola.com>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 2:47 PM
Subject: QNX Web Seminar: Migrating from Linux to a Microkernel OS

Dear Sara,

Thank you for attending the QNX Software Systems web seminar,
"Implementing Device Drivers - Migrating from Linux to a
Microkernel OS." We hope you enjoyed the presentation. To
download the archive and/or transcript, please visit:
http://seminar2.techonline.com/~qnx22/s ... ndex.shtml
-- end of quote ---

Maybe that was for Dave's girlfriend again :)

-- igor

"Kevin Stallard" <kevin@ffllyyiinnggrroobboottss..ccoomm> wrote in message
Yeah, yeah yeah...I know....it wasn't a very well thought out post. I got
the email right after reading some new posts in this thread. Sould have
kept my mouth shut....

Kevin

"Rennie Allen" <rgallen@attbi.com> wrote in message
Kevin Stallard wrote:

QSSL, you guys need to get your crap together. This looks bad.
You're
technology company.....you shouldn't be making mistakes like this!

Before you get too up-in-arms about that, it might be prudent to note
that
it could be any number of factors that resulted in the late delivery of
the
mail. I did get an email for the web seminar, and it was in the morning
the day of the seminar.

Kevin Stallard

Re: QNX Source: Migrating Linux to QNX

Post by Kevin Stallard » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:05 am

ROTFLOL!

I'm goona start calling you Sara.

I think I may have just been avenged ;) QSSL, what ever you do, just don't
send one calling me Bertha.

Kevin

-- email received from QNX ---

Kevin Stallard wrote:

QSSL, you guys need to get your crap together. This looks bad.
You're
technology company.....you shouldn't be making mistakes like this!

Before you get too up-in-arms about that, it might be prudent to note
that
it could be any number of factors that resulted in the late delivery
of
the
mail. I did get an email for the web seminar, and it was in the
morning
the day of the seminar.

Miguel Simon

Re: QNX Source: Migrating Linux to QNX

Post by Miguel Simon » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:44 am

Hi Igor...

Igor Kovalenko wrote:

I did not know what to ask, still feeling like I haven't ate anything when
the dinner was over. I've been tempted to ask why the hell people would
consider moving in the first place, since I haven't noticed an answer to
that main question anywhere in the menu... but decided not to make a public
scandal. So, no tip for you this time. Stale food that was not even good
when it was fresh anyway, thank you very much.

'Stale food that was not even good when it was fresh anyway, thank you
very much.' Straight to the point. You have a good command of the
english language, and the way you put things (in practical terms so that
people can understand) makes me laugh most of the time. Keep it coming.

Incidentally, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

cheers...

Miguel.

-- igor

P.S.
I've been down that road three times myself and I *know* there is more to
tell and to do to help people along...

Armin Steinhoff

Re: QNX Source: Migrating Linux to QNX

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:01 pm

Igor Kovalenko wrote:
"Armin Steinhoff" <a-steinhoff@web.de> wrote in message

Igor Kovalenko wrote:

[...]

Fact is if you are using such a 'serious POSIX real-time OS' and you are
using its propriatary inter process communication ... you are hardly
bound to this OS.

FYI, 'hardly bound' actually means 'not really bound' in english Armin ;)
Oh ... thanks for this correction :)
And if you meant to say 'hard bound'... well that depends on how you split
functionality and how you access proprietary features. If you isolate
OS-specific parts into drivers and/or resource managers, the rest of your
code (major part, normally) remains platform-independent. And if you need to
access some proprietary IPC from generic code, it is easy to make a bunch of
wrapper functions.
The bad point is: you can't write a wrapper for the structure of a
program or driver which is using synchronous message passing.

Also ... wrapping system calls means overhead -> that means you are
loosing performance.
It's only a virtual advantage to have 'POSIX' stuff in your 'serious
POSIX real-time OS', because you are loosing much performance if you are
using only the POSIX interfaces.

I am sure you can back your claim by numbers and benchmark code.
Use simply a communication based on UNIX sockets and compare it with one
based on native message passing.
We're all eagerly waiting ...
I'm sure that not all are eagerly waiting ... you know the result.

Cheers

Armin

Bill Caroselli

Post by Bill Caroselli » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:13 pm

Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@attbi.com> wrote:
IK > -- email received from QNX ---

IK > ----- Original Message -----
IK > From: "QNX Software Systems" <mailings@qnx.com>
IK > To: "Igor Kovalenko" <Igor.Kovalenko@motorola.com>
IK > Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 2:47 PM
IK > Subject: QNX Web Seminar: Migrating from Linux to a Microkernel OS

Dear Sara,

Thank you for attending the QNX Software Systems web seminar,
"Implementing Device Drivers - Migrating from Linux to a
Microkernel OS." We hope you enjoyed the presentation. To
download the archive and/or transcript, please visit:
http://seminar2.techonline.com/~qnx22/s ... ndex.shtml
IK > -- end of quote ---

IK > Maybe that was for Dave's girlfriend again :)

IK > -- igor

Yeah. She gets around.

Dave Rempel

Re: QNX Source: Migrating Linux to QNX

Post by Dave Rempel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:14 pm

*sigh*

Bill Caroselli wrote:
Igor Kovalenko <kovalenko@attbi.com> wrote:
IK > -- email received from QNX ---

IK > ----- Original Message -----
IK > From: "QNX Software Systems" <mailings@qnx.com
IK > To: "Igor Kovalenko" <Igor.Kovalenko@motorola.com
IK > Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 2:47 PM
IK > Subject: QNX Web Seminar: Migrating from Linux to a Microkernel OS

Dear Sara,

Thank you for attending the QNX Software Systems web seminar,
"Implementing Device Drivers - Migrating from Linux to a
Microkernel OS." We hope you enjoyed the presentation. To
download the archive and/or transcript, please visit:
http://seminar2.techonline.com/~qnx22/s ... ndex.shtml

IK > -- end of quote ---

IK > Maybe that was for Dave's girlfriend again :)

IK > -- igor

Yeah. She gets around.

David Gibbs

Post by David Gibbs » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:30 pm

Miguel Simon <simon@ou.edu> wrote:
Incidentally, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
Pretty amazing. Though, I'd expect that only works with people who
are quite fluent/natural in the language -- for someone who is not
fluent, or someone who is learning, I'd bet it would not work.

http://www.qnx.com/support/training/
Please followup in this newsgroup if you have further questions.

Mario Charest

Post by Mario Charest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:19 pm

"David Gibbs" <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote in message
Miguel Simon <simon@ou.edu> wrote:

Incidentally, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Pretty amazing. Though, I'd expect that only works with people who
are quite fluent/natural in the language -- for someone who is not
fluent, or someone who is learning, I'd bet it would not work.
I worked for me ;-) I beleive it work for people who are use to read the
language,
it's about *visual* pattern recognizion.

I also beleive this works because there are 2/3 letters words that are
intact and servers as anchor/reference for the brain.

Reeerfnce mhgtiy parnciipl dfblouuty tttruwhosry ilndeeapnndty

See what I mean -)

A comparable email was sent to me in French ;-)

Post by David Gibbs » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:26 pm

Mario Charest <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
"David Gibbs" <dagibbs@qnx.com> wrote in message
Miguel Simon <simon@ou.edu> wrote:

Incidentally, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Pretty amazing. Though, I'd expect that only works with people who
are quite fluent/natural in the language -- for someone who is not
fluent, or someone who is learning, I'd bet it would not work.

I worked for me ;-) I beleive it work for people who are use to read the
language,
it's about *visual* pattern recognizion.
By fluency, I did mean reading/writing fluency. I expect you read
enough English to be an (at least) reasonably fluent reader of
English.
I also beleive this works because there are 2/3 letters words that are
intact and servers as anchor/reference for the brain.

Reeerfnce mhgtiy parnciipl dfblouuty tttruwhosry ilndeeapnndty
Hm...yeah, that does take more work to decode.

Post by Igor Kovalenko » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:09 am

"Mario Charest" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
[...]

What do you mean? I thought French is always spelled like that anyway... :p

-- igor

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy”