new pricing scheme for VxWorks

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy
Post Reply
Jutta Steinhoff

new pricing scheme for VxWorks

Post by Jutta Steinhoff » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:09 am

Hi all,

I saw just in ElectronicNews that Wind River Systems Inc. is changing
the
way it goes to market ...

http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/ ... edesc=news

- Jutta

Armin Steinhoff

Re: new pricing scheme for VxWorks

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:59 am

Jutta Steinhoff wrote:
Hi all,

I saw just in ElectronicNews that Wind River Systems Inc. is changing
the
way it goes to market ...

http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/ ... edesc=news
Now .. QSSL has good reason to focus on the embedded market :) ... isn't
it ?

Armin
- Jutta

Rennie Allen

Re: new pricing scheme for VxWorks

Post by Rennie Allen » Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:13 am

Kevin Stallard wrote:
I would be interested to know how much of that descision was based upon:
1. Falling profits/sales
2. Linux
3. QNX
4. WinCE
Well, (and this is a totally biased observation :-) it
seems to me that VxWorks major product differentiation
over QNX was their pricing model (they certainly had
little technical differentiators, other than their
tools). I once worked for a company that I believe
chose VxWorks over QNX simply because of their
pricing model (using tools as a technical excuse).

VxWorks pricing *seemed* cheaper based on managements
excessively optimistic estimates of sales (which did
not pan out anywhere near what they expected, and in
fact, they cancelled the VxWorks project anyway - in
fairness because of other financial considerations).
So now they are left with the upfront project
licensing fees, and no project. Psychologically,
managers don't want to "plan for failure", so they
rationalize the fact that you pay for VxWorks
(and now QNX) whether your project succeeds or fails,
by saying to themselves "well if it fails we're all
done for anyway, so it won't matter that we ended
up paying more than we should". QSSLs old pricing
model (runtimes) only "penalized" you if you
succeeded (personally, I'd rather be kicked when
I'm up, then when I'm down, but I can see both sides
of the argument).

Now that QNX has the same pricing model as VxWorks,
it appears Windrivers only way of responding to the
competition is to alter their pricing model. If I
were advising them, I would suggest that they try
technical innovation instead. I would definately
like there to be at least *some* competition for
QNX on a technical level if only to keep them
honest.

ps: as an aside did anyone see that Chorus is now
open source.

pps: did anyone ever notice that Windriver can be
parsed as "Win" "driver" ;-)

Kevin Stallard

Post by Kevin Stallard » Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:06 pm

I would be interested to know how much of that descision was based upon:
1. Falling profits/sales
2. Linux
3. QNX
4. WinCE

Not necessarily in that order, of course :)

Kevin

"Jutta Steinhoff" <j-steinhoff@web.de> wrote in message
Hi all,

I saw just in ElectronicNews that Wind River Systems Inc. is changing
the
way it goes to market ...

http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/ ... ticleid=CA
256338&spacedesc=news
- Jutta

Carlton Haycock

Re: chorusOs

Post by Carlton Haycock » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:52 pm

ps: as an aside did anyone see that Chorus is now
open source.
I visited their website (www.jaluna.com) and took a look around.
I must say, on the surface, it looks very interesting. I have not had
time to take a very in depth look at it though.

Carlton

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy”