Administration

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy
Post Reply
CG

Administration

Post by CG » Thu May 23, 2002 7:34 am

Hi qnxers,

i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
....
AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Please, have i missed something?
Is this Version 6 or 0.6?

First of all i have to set up my system and configure it and start daemons
and write some scripts to finetune my environment...

AND THEN

i start programming my applikation.

Am i soooooo wrong?

Think of this:
I really cannot check my username in qnx!

Cheers!

Christian

Michel Belanger

Re: Administration

Post by Michel Belanger » Thu May 23, 2002 11:48 am

CG wrote:
Hi qnxers,
Hi Windoze boy.

Usaly I like to answer newbies, but not this time. I can understand that
you have a limited knowledge of Unix base systems, but don't blame the
OS for it. Next time, try to post without the bitching.

Armin Steinhoff

Re: Administration

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Thu May 23, 2002 12:08 pm

CG wrote:
Hi qnxers,

i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
...
AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Please, have i missed something?
Is this Version 6 or 0.6?
No ... it's inofficial :)

But if you have problems you should ask concrete questions in the OS NG.
First of all i have to set up my system and configure it and start daemons
and write some scripts to finetune my environment...

AND THEN

i start programming my applikation.

Am i soooooo wrong?

Think of this:
I really cannot check my username in qnx!
Try

env | grep USER
env | grep LOGNAME

or in a C application

username = getenv("USER");
logname = getenv("LOGNAME");

Cheers

Armin

CG

Re: Administration

Post by CG » Thu May 23, 2002 12:47 pm

"Michel Belanger" <micbel@videotron.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3CECD725.6060804@videotron.ca...
CG wrote:
Hi qnxers,

Hi Windoze boy.

Usaly I like to answer newbies, but not this time. I can understand that
you have a limited knowledge of Unix base systems, but don't blame the
OS for it. Next time, try to post without the bitching.
I see.
You are absolutely right, but it's also absolutely frustrating with this
doku.

Chris

CG

Re: Administration

Post by CG » Thu May 23, 2002 1:01 pm

"Armin Steinhoff" <a-steinhoff@web_.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3CECDBCA.A6F2B6FE@web_.de...

CG wrote:

Hi qnxers,

i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
...
AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Please, have i missed something?
Is this Version 6 or 0.6?

No ... it's inofficial :)
??? The OS release? SMILE
But if you have problems you should ask concrete questions in the OS NG.

First of all i have to set up my system and configure it and start
daemons
and write some scripts to finetune my environment...

AND THEN

i start programming my applikation.

Am i soooooo wrong?

Think of this:
I really cannot check my username in qnx!

Try

env | grep USER
env | grep LOGNAME

or in a C application

username = getenv("USER");
logname = getenv("LOGNAME");
Thank you. That helps! But... i would not have had to ask, if ... ;-)

Chris

Steve Reid

Re: Administration

Post by Steve Reid » Thu May 23, 2002 1:24 pm

CG <exai17@yahoo.de> wrote:
: Hi qnxers,

: i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

: I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
: A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
: ...
: AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Documentation takes time to develop, and I'm afraid we just don't have the
resources to do everything we'd like to do with the docs. (Many people
assume that the docs spring forth, full grown, like Athena from Zeus's
forehead.)

However, we hope to get back to working on this book soon. In the meantime,
if you have specific questions, please post them in one of the newsgroups.
We monitor the newsgroups to figure out what questions customers need to
find answers for.

Thanks for the feedback.

------------------------------------------
Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
TechPubs (Technical Publications)
QNX Software Systems
------------------------------------------

Dean Douthat

Re: Administration

Post by Dean Douthat » Thu May 23, 2002 1:35 pm

CG wrote:
"Armin Steinhoff" <a-steinhoff@web_.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3CECDBCA.A6F2B6FE@web_.de...


CG wrote:

Hi qnxers,

i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
...
AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Please, have i missed something?
Is this Version 6 or 0.6?

No ... it's inofficial :)

??? The OS release? SMILE

But if you have problems you should ask concrete questions in the OS NG.

First of all i have to set up my system and configure it and start
daemons
and write some scripts to finetune my environment...

AND THEN

i start programming my applikation.

Am i soooooo wrong?

Think of this:
I really cannot check my username in qnx!

Try

env | grep USER
env | grep LOGNAME

or in a C application

username = getenv("USER");
logname = getenv("LOGNAME");

Thank you. That helps! But... i would not have had to ask, if ... ;-)

Chris
There are standard Unix procedures that have been common public knowledge for
more than 25 years and are documented extensively online and in books that
would fill meters of shelf space. Could you explain why QSSL should waste
their time and resources adding to this avalanche of documentaion?

"Unix in a Nutshell" is a good book for Unix newbies.

Paul D. Smith

Re: Administration

Post by Paul D. Smith » Thu May 23, 2002 1:46 pm

%% "CG" <exai17@yahoo.de> writes:
Think of this:
I really cannot check my username in qnx!

Try

env | grep USER
env | grep LOGNAME

or in a C application

username = getenv("USER");
logname = getenv("LOGNAME");
None of these is the best way. They rely on the environment, which
anyone can change to anything. Maybe that's OK with you; maybe not.

If you want to know the current user info in a way that can't be faked,
then from the shell you want to use the id command:

$ id
uid=390(psmith) gid=500(shasta)

From a program, you want to use the geteuid() function to get your
effective user ID, then give that to getpwuid() to get back the user's
passwd entry.

See the QNX reference manuals for info on these utilities and functions.

c> Thank you. That helps! But... i would not have had to ask, if ... ;-)

If... what?

It's completely ridiculous to expect QSSL to provide user documentation
for a UNIX system--why should they? There are books _galore_ out there,
a number of them better than anything QSSL would write anyway, which
describe how to use UNIX boxes from a user perspective, how to program
in both UNIX and POSIX, etc. etc. Go out and buy one. Or two.

QNX is not a complete UNIX clone (and that's not really it's goal), so
don't expect every single little thing to work identically, but I doubt
you'll find much that doesn't.


QSSL provides pretty reasonable docs for the _specific_ parts of their
system which aren't standard: building BSPs, etc. etc. They also
provide quite good _reference_ material, in HTML format. All the
functions are documented, with error return codes, etc. and many with
examples of their use.

One major benefit to basing your system on existing standards, after
all, is that you don't need to worry so much about documentation! After
20+ years of UNIX and 10+ years of POSIX, why should QSSL spend valuable
resources writing Yet Another Manual?

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
"Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.

Igor Levko

Re: Administration

Post by Igor Levko » Thu May 23, 2002 2:05 pm

The administration guide is really valuable info and the fact that it's
still
in incomplete state upsets many people especially who are new with QNX.

Well, everuthing takes time to develop :), when there is lack of time then
one needs prioroties.

As far as I can see, this could be an indication of how QSSL considers its
OS.
If it's more embedded system that there should be more docs describing in
details OS's internals and APIs (at least API :)) and if its more like
general
purpose system then docs concentrate on admin and maintanence guides.

cheers,
Igor

"Steve Reid" <stever@qnx.com> wrote in message
news:aciqht$9rr$2@nntp.qnx.com...
CG <exai17@yahoo.de> wrote:
: Hi qnxers,

: i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

: I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
: A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
: ...
: AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Documentation takes time to develop, and I'm afraid we just don't have the
resources to do everything we'd like to do with the docs. (Many people
assume that the docs spring forth, full grown, like Athena from Zeus's
forehead.)

However, we hope to get back to working on this book soon. In the
meantime,
if you have specific questions, please post them in one of the newsgroups.
We monitor the newsgroups to figure out what questions customers need to
find answers for.

Thanks for the feedback.

------------------------------------------
Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
TechPubs (Technical Publications)
QNX Software Systems
------------------------------------------

Xiaodan Tang

Re: Administration

Post by Xiaodan Tang » Thu May 23, 2002 2:17 pm

CG <exai17@yahoo.de> wrote:
"Michel Belanger" <micbel@videotron.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3CECD725.6060804@videotron.ca...
CG wrote:
Hi qnxers,

Hi Windoze boy.

Usaly I like to answer newbies, but not this time. I can understand that
you have a limited knowledge of Unix base systems, but don't blame the
OS for it. Next time, try to post without the bitching.

I see.
You are absolutely right, but it's also absolutely frustrating with this
doku.
You know, this makes me think:

"How do you know who is logged in on a, say, windows 98/NT/2000 System?"

I already fell frustrating when I think about this :)

-xtang

ed1k

Re: Administration

Post by ed1k » Thu May 23, 2002 2:18 pm

CG <exai17@yahoo.de> wrote in article <acio6k$n0n$1@inn.qnx.com>...
"Armin Steinhoff" <a-steinhoff@web_.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3CECDBCA.A6F2B6FE@web_.de...


CG wrote:

Hi qnxers,

i am new to qnx and i am very disappointed of it!

I have found some dokumentaion here and there.
A Knowledgebase and tips-howto-section.
...
AND i found a Online-Doku for administration (WORK IN PROGRESS!).

Please, have i missed something?
Is this Version 6 or 0.6?

No ... it's inofficial :)

??? The OS release? SMILE
What did you mean? Documentation or OS? If you don't know the OS version which you're using, you
must learn it, IMHO.
If you don't know, type 'uname -a'
Best regards.
--
Eduard.
ed1k at ukr dot net

Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)

Re: Administration

Post by Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS) » Thu May 23, 2002 5:38 pm

"Michel Belanger" <micbel@videotron.ca> wrote in message
news:3CECD725.6060804@videotron.ca...
CG wrote:
Hi qnxers,

Hi Windoze boy.

Usaly I like to answer newbies, but not this time. I can understand that
you have a limited knowledge of Unix base systems, but don't blame the
OS for it. Next time, try to post without the bitching.

Geez, Somebody hasn't gotten any lately.

Armin Steinhoff

Re: Administration

Post by Armin Steinhoff » Thu May 23, 2002 5:41 pm

"Paul D. Smith" wrote:
%% "CG" <exai17@yahoo.de> writes:

Think of this:
I really cannot check my username in qnx!

Try

env | grep USER
env | grep LOGNAME

or in a C application

username = getenv("USER");
logname = getenv("LOGNAME");

None of these is the best way. They rely on the environment, which
anyone can change to anything. Maybe that's OK with you; maybe not.

If you want to know the current user info in a way that can't be faked,
then from the shell you want to use the id command:

$ id
uid=390(psmith) gid=500(shasta)

From a program, you want to use the geteuid() function to get your
effective user ID, then give that to getpwuid() to get back the user's
passwd entry.
Yes .. that's the clean 'UNIX way' :) Should be placed into the FAQ ...

Armin
See the QNX reference manuals for info on these utilities and functions.

c> Thank you. That helps! But... i would not have had to ask, if ... ;-)

If... what?

It's completely ridiculous to expect QSSL to provide user documentation
for a UNIX system--why should they? There are books _galore_ out there,
a number of them better than anything QSSL would write anyway, which
describe how to use UNIX boxes from a user perspective, how to program
in both UNIX and POSIX, etc. etc. Go out and buy one. Or two.

QNX is not a complete UNIX clone (and that's not really it's goal), so
don't expect every single little thing to work identically, but I doubt
you'll find much that doesn't.

QSSL provides pretty reasonable docs for the _specific_ parts of their
system which aren't standard: building BSPs, etc. etc. They also
provide quite good _reference_ material, in HTML format. All the
functions are documented, with error return codes, etc. and many with
examples of their use.

One major benefit to basing your system on existing standards, after
all, is that you don't need to worry so much about documentation! After
20+ years of UNIX and 10+ years of POSIX, why should QSSL spend valuable
resources writing Yet Another Manual?

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
"Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.

Robert Krten

Re: Administration

Post by Robert Krten » Thu May 23, 2002 6:11 pm

"Bill Caroselli \(Q-TPS\)" <QTPS@earthlink.net> wrote:
"Michel Belanger" <micbel@videotron.ca> wrote in message
news:3CECD725.6060804@videotron.ca...
CG wrote:
Hi qnxers,

Hi Windoze boy.

Usaly I like to answer newbies, but not this time. I can understand that
you have a limited knowledge of Unix base systems, but don't blame the
OS for it. Next time, try to post without the bitching.

Geez, Somebody hasn't gotten any lately.
And this from someone who starts a thread (not this one), and when he gets
replies, quotes the entire freakin article and prefixes it with "Whatever"??

:-)

Cheers,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Books, Video-based and Instructor-led
Training and Consulting at www.parse.com.
Email my initials at parse dot com.

Post Reply

Return to “qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy”