Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

bridged with qdn.public.qnxrtp.advocacy
Eric Johnson

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Eric Johnson » Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:44 pm

It's true that we haven't done anything much with towards
completing the sys admin guide in the last year. As Steve Reid and
others mentioned, this was largely a question of available
resources. But the good news is that we will be resuming that work
shortly. So, if you have ideas for things you would like to see in this
book that don't already appear, now is the time to let us know (preferably
by email, since this forum is probably not the place to be discussing those
details).

- Eric

"Ian Zagorskih" <ianzag@mail.ru> wrote in message
"Chris McKillop" <cdm@qnx.com> wrote in message

This was mentioned but no link was given. I am pretty impressed with
the
details that are in this document even if it is a work-in-progress...

http://qdn.qnx.com/support/docs/sysadmin/docs/wip.html

...it provides a much needed high-level view of the system.

chris

I don't want to be annoying but... isn't there more questions then answers
in this sysadminguide ? :) After *first* sight it wasn't much changed
since
last time i looked there (~1 year ago)...

// wbr

Kris Warkentin

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Kris Warkentin » Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:09 pm

"Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)" <QTPS@EarthLink.net> wrote in message
....snip...
Here's a thought. It was often mentioned that users can contribute to the
documentation base. I would be willing to help out some and I know others
that would too. Also, this was mentioned years ago way back in QNX4 land.
Helpviewer should have an option that let's users write their own add-on
notes to the helpviewer pages. That way, even if QSSL didn't trust users
write "official" documentation, users could post their unofficial notes
here
in these news groups. If other users like what they see then can copy
them
onto their own systems. If not, they don't. Either way, it doesn't
"soil"
the pure QSSL documentation.
If you want to see an example of this, go to http://www.php.net/manual/en/
and look at the php manual. On any given page of the manual, the bottom has
a 'user contributed notes' section which has useful tips, code snippets and
gotchas from users. It's quite possibly the best set of documentation I've
ever seen.

Kris

Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS) » Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:37 pm

The issue is knowing what questions to ask. And which NG to ask them in.

(Which is why there are so many multiple NG posts.)

"Jason Wycoff" <jason@socratec.de> wrote in message
Thanks, for your reply.
If you noticed, I never complained in my message about the support
provided
by the newsgroups. I'm impressed by the readiness of the QNX community
and
the employees of QSSL to given prompt and good answers. Newsgroups should
not be, IMHO, the primary source of information for developers, especially
for beginners.

I may have been lead to a full well, with the highest quality spring
water,
but no one is providing a rope with a bucket on the end, and in the mean
time I don't plan on suffering dehydration until it occurs to the owners
of
the well that not everyone wants to climb down the well to get to the
water.

Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS) » Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:06 pm

"Ian Zagorskih" <ianzag@mail.ru> wrote in message
Hm.. You really think that QNX4's documentation is great :-?
Well, At least I know where to find everything.

Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS) » Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:11 pm

No they're not.

Where I was working our system deleted posts after about 10 days. It was a
real pain in the ass. Sometimes you couldn't ever see the beginning of a
still active thread.

I just started working somewhere new two months ago. I was able to download
every post from the beginning of inn.qnx.com.

And yes, It's great to be able to search a LOCAL DATABASE for comments about
whatever even if it turn up posts that are years old. Sometimes they are
the best ones.

"Jason Wycoff" <jason@socratec.de> wrote in message
Hi Bill,
thanks for your thoughts. Something you wrote reminded me of another
problem which I have observed. Many of my questions and problems could
probably be answered by old posts to the news groups, but it seems that
the
old posts are deleted at regular intervals, possibly to save space, reduce
traffic, or whatever. This is lost information and all new users end up
repeating the same posts again and again. Why isn't the "best of" being
saved by anyone (I think this was previously done with the QNX Knowledge
Base)?

Cheers,
Jason

Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS)

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Bill Caroselli (Q-TPS) » Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:15 pm

"Steve Reid" <stever@qnx.com> wrote in message
P.S. I have tremendous respect for anyone who creates an index, and I've
become more forgiving when an index doesn't have the term I want to find.
If you want a taste of how to do it, see The Chicago Manual of Style; it
describes how to do it with (gulp!) index cards.

What a relief. So now we can expect QSSL to mail out a box of index cards
whenever someone downloads a copy of RTP, right?

JUST KIDDING!

Steve Reid

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Steve Reid » Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:55 pm

"Bill Caroselli \(Q-TPS\)" <QTPS@earthlink.net> wrote:

: "Steve Reid" <stever@qnx.com> wrote in message
: news:aabl2a$dva$1@nntp.qnx.com...
:> P.S. I have tremendous respect for anyone who creates an index, and I've
:> become more forgiving when an index doesn't have the term I want to find.
:> If you want a taste of how to do it, see The Chicago Manual of Style; it
:> describes how to do it with (gulp!) index cards.
:>
: What a relief. So now we can expect QSSL to mail out a box of index cards
: whenever someone downloads a copy of RTP, right?

: JUST KIDDING!

Yes. And you can use them to create your own, custom index for all of our
docs. :-)

Seriously, if you look unsuccessfuly for a term in one of our indices, and
you think it should be there, please let us know by posting in a newsgroup,
or by sending email to docs@qnx.com.

(If you have technical questions, please post them; don't email them to
that address.)

Steve Reid stever@qnx.com
TechPubs (Technical Publications)
QNX Software Systems

Robert Krten

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Robert Krten » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:03 pm

Jason Wycoff <jason@socratec.de> wrote:
Hi Bill,
thanks for your thoughts. Something you wrote reminded me of another
problem which I have observed. Many of my questions and problems could
probably be answered by old posts to the news groups, but it seems that the
old posts are deleted at regular intervals, possibly to save space, reduce
traffic, or whatever. This is lost information and all new users end up
repeating the same posts again and again. Why isn't the "best of" being
saved by anyone (I think this was previously done with the QNX Knowledge
Base)?
As Bill Caroselli mentioned in another post, old posts aren't deleted. However,
some newsreaders will only load up N posts within a newsgroup. For example,
if you're using "tin", there's a command line option "-G" that limits the
number of articles. If you omit "-G", then you get *all* the posts.
YMMV esp on windoze boxen.

Cheers,
-RK
--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Books, Video-based and Instructor-led

Miguel Simon

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Miguel Simon » Mon May 27, 2002 9:41 pm

Hi...

Jason Wycoff wrote:

<...>
I may have been lead to a full well, with the highest quality spring water,
but no one is providing a rope with a bucket on the end, and in the mean
time I don't plan on suffering dehydration until it occurs to the owners of
the well that not everyone wants to climb down the well to get to the water.
....then that person dies...

Moral is: if you want the water, you will get the water regardless.

Favorite example: visit Cuba and you will see american cars from 1940's
and 50's still running on the streets... A great deal of recognition
goes to the 50's cars themselves, but a greater deal goes to the cubans
that manage to get these cars running with pure ingenuity and little
else. :)

Application: QNX Neutrino is a very useful tool that you have at your
disposal. What you do with it and to what extent you use it, is
completely up to you, regardless.

Regards...

Miguel.

Guest

Re: Newbie gives QNX an 'F'

Post by Guest » Tue May 28, 2002 1:06 pm

Miguel Simon <simon@ou.edu> wrote:
Hi...

Jason Wycoff wrote:

I may have been lead to a full well, with the highest quality spring water,
but no one is providing a rope with a bucket on the end, and in the mean
time I don't plan on suffering dehydration until it occurs to the owners of
the well that not everyone wants to climb down the well to get to the water.
...then that person dies...
No, that person will go to another source of (may be poor quality) water
where the rope has been already installed.
Moral is: if you want the water, you will get the water regardless.

Favorite example: visit Cuba and you will see american cars from 1940's
and 50's still running on the streets... A great deal of recognition
goes to the 50's cars themselves, but a greater deal goes to the cubans
that manage to get these cars running with pure ingenuity and little
else. :)

Application: QNX Neutrino is a very useful tool that you have at your
disposal. What you do with it and to what extent you use it, is
completely up to you, regardless.
Regards...
> Miguel.

Post Reply